• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I resonsible for my Nursing Home bound Mothers account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sue1952

over the last year and a half my mother has fallen down several times breaking bones due to osteoporisis, the last fall in may of this year has put her into a nursing home for good. She had to be approved for medicaid as she has no assets and her only income was her social security check, which now the nursing home collects. my problem or question is, my mother has had an account for years with a dept store, which was owned locally, but within the last yeat they sold to a bigger corp. there was almost $1,000 dollars owed on this revolving charge account. Even before my mother was in the nursing home it was a common practice to send me to this store when she could not to do her shopping for her, for gifts and for her own use. and I would always tell the clerks this was for my mother and to put it on her card, and how should I sign it, they told me to sign it under my name putting daughter. her account was always paid accordingly each month. in august when they approved her for medicaid they asked me if there were any accounts owed by my mother and i told them of this one, and the state told me to call and tell them there was no more money to be paid and hopefully they would be able to write the amount off. i did exactly that and was told by the person helping me that because the account was not in arrears i would have to wait until it became so for them to do anything about it. in the mean time they added late fees and interest fees making the amount owed go up to $1,100 and now they are saying since i signed for the charges in the last several months even though i did so for my mother at her request i am now responsible for paying this _ even though my name was never on the account in fact they say it was my fathers account and my mother was just a signer, my father died in 1996 and for some reason they never took his name off although they told me it was noted on the account. please advise me can I be held responsible for this account or are they trying to bully me into taking responsibility, please give me an answer by monday the 15th if at all possible as they are threatening to take this to court if I don't have an answer for them by the 16th. thankyou so much for your help.

C

curtisd

account takeover

im not a lawyer but if im not mistaken the account owes them the money and whomever owns the account would be liable just as if you were to have charged an exorbant amount that your mom didnt know about they would be telling her that she was responsible for any moneys owed.

S

sue1952

mom's account

that does sound logical, are there any lawyers available that could confirm that? thankyou so much !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">