• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I right to keep a deposit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ryan1984

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Last July (2012) I listed my older motorhome for sale on Craigslist for $4,000. The first week of August someone came and looked at it, liked it, and decided they wanted it. They offered to give me $1,000 to hold it, and then the remaining $3,000 by the end of August, when they expected to receive a settlement for something (I'm not sure what) they were going to court from. I agreed and took the $1,000, making sure to tell them it was not refundable. I told them "I'll not going to take the deposit, hold the motor home for a while, then have you come back and tell you you don't want it anymore, I am trying to sell this". We got nothing in writing, which I really regret now.

August came and went, and I heard nothing. The first week of September I sent them an e-mail (all our future contact is done through e-mail) asking what happened with court and if they had the money, and still intended to purchase. She said there case was continued until October 3rd, but she would have the money then. I didn't put up a fight, and let it go. This happened again in October, again I had to contact her what was going on. In December I contacted her again asking what was going on, and she said court was continued again and that she didn't have the money, but would start sending payments from her husbands checks. I never received anything.

Finally, at the beginning of February I told her that she had until March 1st and then I was re-listing it, and her deposit would not be returned. I let her know I had given her ample time, and still giving her another month to follow through on her end of the deal. I told her I'd take payments. She flipped out, told me that I never told her the deposit was non refundable, and insisted I said I would hold it until her court case was settled, all untrue. I would be an idiot to agree with either of those terms.

Anyways, trying to be the bigger man, I told her if she could not come up with the remainder of the money, I would relist for $3700 obo on March first. Over the winter, the batteries went dead and it was winterized so I couldn't demonstrate a lot of the functions, and new I would have a hard time selling, which is the reason behind the lesser price. I told her I would return to her whatever amount over $3,000 I sell it for, as then I would not be profiting off the sale. I said I would try to get her $500 back, but no guarantees. She agreed with this. March came and I never heard anything else from her. So I listed it on Craigslist again the first weekend for March for $3,700. I showed it every weekend in March, but no real interest. April 1st, I lowered the price to $3,500 o/b/o. I still had a hard time selling it. Finally, on April 28th, someone showed up, was interested and offered $3,000 cash on the spot to purchase it. I told them I would take $3250 minimum, still trying to get something for the previous buyer. They pretty much called my bluff, told me $3,000 or nothing, I then told them the story of the previous buyer, and how I needed to get something for them to give back. At that point, he pulled the $3000 he already had in a bill fold, put it on the table, and took a $20 bill out of his wallet, and put it on top. He said that was the best he was doing. I gave in, signed the title and wrote up two bill of sales, one for him, and one for me.

I blacked out the personal info on the bill of sale, explained to the previous buyer exactly what had been going on for the two previous months, and how it was the best I could do. I paid money to winterize the motorhome, I paid money to keep insurance on it, I paid an addition years excise tax on it, there was no way I was giving the deposit back. I felt I have been more than fair with these people. Anyway,well she flipped out on me again, told me that $20 was unacceptable and she will see me in court. I've tried explaining over and over again that I have been more than lenient to them, that I followed through on what we agreed upon, and through all of this, they had made 0% effort in actually getting any of the money owed to me, and also showed 0% interest in getting the actual motor home.

My question is two fold. Am I in the right to keep the deposit? The $3020 I got from the real buyers, plus the $1000 deposit from the previous buyer puts the total at $4,020. The original agreement with the original buyer was for $4,000. Am I in the right thinking that I owe the original buyer $20?

I told her that if she drags me to court over this, I will try to reclaim some of my losses due to her not following through on her end of the deal. As I said, I had to winterize it, keep the insurance on it, and pay additional excise tax on it. Any chance I can counter-sue and get any of that? She said she would pay for the winterizing back in October when she told me she didn't have the money yet, but I never received anything. Winterizing is not expensive, just a lot of labor on my part. If I get a quote from a place for winterizing can I use that, or is my labor not worth anything? If I have to go to court for something that I feel is a big waste of time, I have to take time off of work, which equal wages lost, any recourse for that?

I really have no interest in going to court, but if she forces me, I would like to at least make it worth my while.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

swalsh411

Forget everything you posted except this:

There was nothing in writing that the deposit was refundable, and the buyer never followed through with the sale despite ample time.

That is the only defense you need if you are sued.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Forget everything you posted except this:

There was nothing in writing that the deposit was refundable, and the buyer never followed through with the sale despite ample time.

That is the only defense you need if you are sued.
Actually there was nothing in writing at all. That may not be a defense at all. Because he did not have a contract spelling out the terms and this was a motorhome with title -- well who kept the title? Apparently OP did.

Ryan1984

Actually there was nothing in writing at all. That may not be a defense at all. Because he did not have a contract spelling out the terms and this was a motorhome with title -- well who kept the title? Apparently OP did.
The is nothing in writing on the original offer. When she would not pay, I told her I would list for $3700, and she would get to keep anything I sold it for over $3,000, I have that in writing. It's in an e-mail, and I have her response e-mail clearly stating she agreed. It was always understood I kept the title, and would sign it over when the rest of the money was paid. I sold it for $30,20 and offered to return the amount over $3,000 which was $20. Isn't her not agreeing with that, breaking our agreement?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The is nothing in writing on the original offer. When she would not pay, I told her I would list for $3700, and she would get to keep anything I sold it for over $3,000, I have that in writing. It's in an e-mail, and I have her response e-mail clearly stating she agreed. It was always understood I kept the title, and would sign it over when the rest of the money was paid. I sold it for $30,20 and offered to return the amount over $3,000 which was $20. Isn't her not agreeing with that, breaking our agreement?
What was the consideration for that agreement? How did she agree? Are you sure she was the one responding in email? Again, there was nothing in writing on the original offer. That is a problem.

Ryan1984

What was the consideration for that agreement? How did she agree? Are you sure she was the one responding in email? Again, there was nothing in writing on the original offer. That is a problem.
Here is what was said in the e-mails. She responded with her e-mail address, the same one she used to answer the original ad I posted, the same one she has used all along, and she wrote her name at the end. Is that enough evidence to prove it was her?

Here's the e-mail

K,

If you can agree to this, I will refund you the difference between what I can sell it for and the $3,000 you still owe, after I am able to sell it. I will list it for $3750 and take the first cash offer for a quick sale. I will try to get at least $3500, but no guarantees.
If I sell it for less, say $3500, then I would give $500 back. I am a reasonable person. If we can agree upon the difference between what we agreed upon, and what I can sell it for, then I will refund that money to you.

-Ryan

I will agree to this with the condition that I get the person's name and address that bought it, so I can see the sales tax that they paid.

-K

Ryan1984

Also, When would a court determine that she broke our oral contract. Neither have anything in writing...It had been 6 months since she left the deposit, and 3 Months since she said she would send payments and never did. Am I supposed to wait forever because we had nothing in writing? After 6 months I assumed I'd be safe since she made zero effort to pay. After the 6 months, I told her I would give her yet another month, and all she said that was she wanted her deposit back.

I just don't understand how I could be in the wrong when I did everything I could to keep the deal going.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Also, When would a court determine that she broke our oral contract. Neither have anything in writing...It had been 6 months since she left the deposit, and 3 Months since she said she would send payments and never did. Am I supposed to wait forever because we had nothing in writing? After 6 months I assumed I'd be safe since she made zero effort to pay. After the 6 months, I told her I would give her yet another month, and all she said that was she wanted her deposit back.

I just don't understand how I could be in the wrong when I did everything I could to keep the deal going.
Here is the problem -- YOU have to prove the contract. She may win if she sues for the deposit back. You don't have a sure thing. The later contract has NO CONSIDERATION for it. That is the problem.

Ryan1984

Here is the problem -- YOU have to prove the contract. She may win if she sues for the deposit back. You don't have a sure thing. The later contract has NO CONSIDERATION for it. That is the problem.
The e-mail I posted above doesn't show consideration for the return of the deposit? I'm confused, it was about me refunding her deposit. I told her I would return whatever amount I could sell it for above $3,000. She agreed and I sold it for $3,020.

FlyingRon

Even if you prove you have a contract, you have to show damages. You just don't get to keep the deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">