• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

American Hospital law- Can I reuse to have my arms strapped Down?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polly Page

I live in New York State-
I have a question regarding American law in hospital here.
I am have read on a lot of American mother and baby forums that here in America it is standard practice for many hospitals here in America to strap down both your arms when you have a C Section or during other surgery where you are awake.

And of course I am shocked by this since I am English and back home in England this is not done at all in any UK hospital.
In England is would be illegal to strap down or restrain anyone in such a way.That is in England they never strap women down for any surgery.It is not done over in England.
But it seems from what I read online it is different here in America and hospitals do strap you down here in America.
So my question is this. In an American hospital can they force a mother who is having a C Section to have her arms strapped down. If you were to refuse it can they strap you down by force?

Last edited:

PaulMass

If you refuse, forcing you to do so would constitute battery.

On the other hand, there is nothing preventing the hospital from refusing to perform a C-Section if your arms are not strapped down.

Polly Page

If you refuse, forcing you to do so would constitute battery.

On the other hand, there is nothing preventing the hospital from refusing to perform a C-Section if your arms are not strapped down.
So are you saying that if the hospital wants to strap my arms down and I refuse and tell them NO then they cannot hold me down and forcibly strap my arms down?

Proserpina

I am have read on a lot of American mother and baby forums that here in America it is standard practice for many hospitals here in America to strap down both your arms when you have a C Section or during other surgery where you are awake.

And of course I am shocked by this since I am English and back home in England this is not done at all in any UK hospital.
In England is would be illegal to strap down or restrain anyone in such a way.That is in England they never strap women down for any surgery.It is not done over in England.
Don't believe everything you find on mass hysteria-laden parenting sites. And re-read the applicable laws in England. You will find that yes, there are situations where a patient can be restrained and it is legal.

But it seems from what I read online it is different here in America and hospitals do strap you down here in America.
So my question is this. In an American hospital can they force a mother who is having a C Section to have her arms strapped down. If you were to refuse it can they strap you down by force?

See previous.

Silverplum

What does this have to do with you?

Polly Page

Well in England they don't strap your arms down. Not in any hospital they don't even use the arm boards.They just lay your arms on your chest. I was present at my friends C Section in England where she was awake and they never strapped her arms down. It was never even suggested. When I told the hospital staff about what they do here in America (strap the arms) they said no were are not allowed to do that. It's a restraint and were surprised when I told them about American hospitals. So I don't know why things are so different here in America.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well in England they don't strap your arms down. Not in any hospital they don't even use the arm boards.They just lay your arms on your chest. I was present at my friends C Section in England where she was awake and they never strapped her arms down. It was never even suggested. When I told the hospital staff about what they do here in America (strap the arms) they said no were are not allowed to do that. It's a restraint and were surprised when I told them about American hospitals. So I don't know why things are so different here in America.
Ahhh, you've seen a C-Section. That experience must be universal. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silverplum

Run along, now.

:rolleyes:

ecmst12

It's certainly not standard practice. And there are various rules and standards regarding when it's acceptable to restrain a patient. In most cases it would not be necessary to use any restraints during a c-section and some hospitals are even starting to allow mothers to hold their babies on their chest while being stitched up, if there are no complications preventing it or making it unsafe. Get off the internet, it's making you paranoid.

Polly Page

Ahhh, you've seen a C-Section. That experience must be universal. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
If you have ever seen the UK Birth program One Born Every Minute which shows birth in the UK in different NHS hospitals including C Sections. You will see that NONE of the mums were strapped down. All mums had their arms free. Yet when I saw A Baby Story the American TV birth show I saw a lot of mums arms were strapped down. So it seems America is a lot different from the UK.

The restraints you are talking about in England are when someone is Sectioned or Detained under the Mental Health Act in a psychiatric hospital. Then they can force you to take medication or have treatment. but they don't use straps or strap you to the bed as they do in the American hospital. Those restraints are not allowed in the UK. And they don't strap you to the OR table in the UK either.

Yet I read on an American nurses form that someone who had eye surgery while awake in hospital in America got their arms strapped down. But they don't do that either in the UK.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can find something on the internet that will verify pretty much any theory you want to hold, no matter how far from reality it is. The fact that you see it on the internet doesn't make it true.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you have ever seen the UK Birth program One Born Every Minute which shows birth in the UK in different NHS hospitals including C Sections. You will see that NONE of the mums were strapped down. All mums had their arms free. Yet when I saw A Baby Story the American TV birth show I saw a lot of mums arms were strapped down. So it seems America is a lot different from the UK.

The restraints you are talking about in England are when someone is Sectioned or Detained under the Mental Health Act in a psychiatric hospital. Then they can force you to take medication or have treatment. but they don't use straps or strap you to the bed as they do in the American hospital. Those restraints are not allowed in the UK. And they don't strap you to the OR table in the UK either.

Yet I read on an American nurses form that someone who had eye surgery while awake in hospital in America got their arms strapped down. But they don't do that either in the UK.
You are confusing voluntary measures with involuntary measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">