• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amusement Park Liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geekgurl

What is the name of your state?Reside in Washington
Incident took place in California

Not sure if anything can be done about this but I stumbled across this site and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I hope this is the right section to post this question in.

Last weekend we took a trip down to the Bay Area in California. One of the key points of the trip was to go to Six Flags Marine World. We purchased our tickets online and went to the park on Saturday morning. To get into the park you have to go through a security screening checkpoint which consists of a walk through metal detector and a counter (shared with the metal detector on the opposite side of your metal detector) to place your personal belongings on for security to go through bags etc. I got to the counter and placed my wallet, backpack, keys, phone and jacket and proceeded through the detector. I collected my items and started toward the park. About 15 feet from security I stopped to put my coat back on and realized at that point that I no longer had my wallet. I went back to security and and asked the screener at that gate if my wallet was there and of course it was not. He didn't even appear to beleive me that I had a wallet to begin with and started questioning me like i was trying to scam them. We were asked to check in our car to make sure it wasn't left behind - although I am absolutely positive I had it when I got to the security screening, we did - not there. He told me to go to the customer service counter and file a missing items report, so we did. Then we sat outside the park for a bit making phone calls and clearing all available cash from accounts. We also filed a police report to try to protect myself from any future mis-use of my identification. We stayed at the park for the remainder of the day but it was a little difficult to really enjoy the day after starting it like it did. When we got back to the hotel that night I checked my accounts and there was an attempt to use my credit card that night at a gas station - denied thankfully but still an attempt. Sunday was a joy trying to get home as I was flying without picture id. Big pain but I made it. I can't cancel my bank account yet (my credit union card with routing numbers and account numbers was in my wallet) because I have automatic deposit of payroll and there wasn't enough time before to either get a live check or change the account info so tomorrow morning my check goes in the bank and I won't have the proper ID yet to get it out. I did put a password on my account so unless someone has that password they can't do any transactions with it. Small protection until I can cancel the account and open a new one tomorrow morning. I now have to worry about identity theft as well as someone doing something illegal and using my id to do it with. State of Washington won't issue me a different license number so I'm stuck with possible sharing my id with someone who obviously would use a stolen credit card.

Enough rant. My question is this. Are establishments that require you to relinquish your personal property to screening to gain entrance to their facilities responsible for the safety and security of your property? It seems that they should be to a certain extent. Marine World doesn't have cameras at there screening area which seems would have helped in this situation but if they aren't liable for the safety of your property I guess what would be the point of that expense for them. It would be nice to be compensated for my loss as well as the cost of the trip so I can try again - somewhere else obviously but after speaking to the appropriate people at Six Flags that isn't going to happen. The only remedy I was offered is "if I'm ever in the area give them a call and I can have free admitance to the park". Well, that would be great if I lived anywhere near a park but I don't. It had be 13 years since we were last in California and it will probably be at least that before we are someplace close to one of their parks. Now I'm ranting again. I'm just so PO'd about the whole thing and the thought of having to potentially deal with the repercussions at some point in the future makes it even worse.

Any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">