• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

annoying phone calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LenoreH

What is the name of your state? California

In the past week, I started receiving phone calls for someone who doesn't live here. At first, I just thought they were calling the wrong number but they persisted. It turns out that they are a financial institution ( I don't know if I can post names here) who is looking for my ex-brother-in-law and are stating that he put my phone number down as his work phone number (I don't believe them on this). I've told these people he doesn't live here and that I have no contact with him but they insist that it is my responsibility to get in touch with him and tell him to call them.

Do I have any recourse in getting them to stop calling me? This is getting so frustrating.

Thank you.

H

happynow

My wife's sister did the same thing to us with numerous creditors. You'd be surprised how happy the creditors are to get the real phone number and address of a dead beat in law. I haven't recieved a call from any of them since.

L

LenoreH

Except I don't believe he gave them my number; I think they were just fishing for someone with his name and got a bite. I'm more upset with their tactics and would like them to leave me alone rather than rat out on my brother-in-law. I'd like that to be a last resort. I appreciate your reply though.

A

auntjacks

when,i was younger& lived with my mom& my sister.
my sister was getting calls from credit card companies saying
she owed them.well, one day i answered the phone& the place
asked for my sister.which she wasnt at home at the time.
an the lady said,i was a liar& i was indeed my sister.
i kept telling her i wasnt my sister.an she finally cursed at me
an said,FU. thats not the way she said,it either.she said the
full term way of FU.i called that company a few days later.
to report that lady.i had her name. i called to speak to the higher
up(manager).well,i didnt know who answered at first.
believe it or not!it was the same lady(that cursed at me).
she hung up.i called back,she kept answering the phone.
an told me to leave her the hell alone.so i said,forget this& never
reported her.which i shouldnt of gave up.but,she had to know
the phone#.because,she answered everytime i called.

L

LenoreH

That's actually a funny story.. probably more funny now than when it happened to you. Thanks for sharing. I actually haven't had another phone call since I threatened to sue them for harrassment (which I think probably wouldn't hold water anyway). Hopefully, they won't be calling again though.

G

gothic_rose_gar

try the BBI

Find out the name of the bussiness that is harrassing you, and contact the tell them whats up.

L

LenoreH

Good idea. I did find out the name of the business and looked them up on the internet. All sorts of complaints against them. Looks like this is their standard operating procedure.

A

auntjacks

lenoreh,
actually ithink it was not right to do that to someone.
even if i would of been my sister.that still dont give them the
right.an why did that lady care soooooooo much anyways!
it wasnt like she owned the company.she just worked there.
her time was paid!even though she had to act like a b_t_h

L

LenoreH

Who knows? Maybe they get a commission or bonus when they find people who have skipped on a credit card payment. I was just hoping I had some legal ammunition as a consumer to go up against them again if they did call. But since they haven't called back lately, I'll just hope the matter is settled. BTW, if I got paid for having to be a b_t_h, I might be a millionaire by now. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">