• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Cell Phone Contract Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxMsLady

What is the name of your state? AR

I have been with a particular cell phone company for 2 years, and never had a problem. A few months ago I renewed with a 2 yrs contract, not only upgrading my phone, but buying an additional phone for my college age daughter since we were moving out of state. We now have 2 phones, both with 2 yr contracts. The problem is, we have lousy or no service in the location we moved to! Is there anyway to get out of this contract? Or are we stuck with phones that we can rarely use. Cell phone company is insistent that we will have to pay $150 ea. phone to get out of the contract regardless. Since we have little or no service in this area, is there not a loop hole to get out? Hopeful thinking....Thanks in advance for any replies.

JETX

Read your agreement to see if there is anything that would allow you to terminate service (I doubt that there is).

Your only other recourse is to try to negotiate an early termination of the contract, or see if you can sell the contract to someone else (and get released from liability).

HomeGuru

TxMsLady said:
What is the name of your state? AR

I have been with a particular cell phone company for 2 years, and never had a problem. A few months ago I renewed with a 2 yrs contract, not only upgrading my phone, but buying an additional phone for my college age daughter since we were moving out of state. We now have 2 phones, both with 2 yr contracts. The problem is, we have lousy or no service in the location we moved to! Is there anyway to get out of this contract? Or are we stuck with phones that we can rarely use. Cell phone company is insistent that we will have to pay $150 ea. phone to get out of the contract regardless. Since we have little or no service in this area, is there not a loop hole to get out? Hopeful thinking....Thanks in advance for any replies.
**A: at the time of the upgrade and purchase of the new phone did you advise the rep that you were moving and specify the geographical location to confirm proper cellular/digital coverage? Also check with your public utilities commission.

TxMsLady

Thank you for your replies. I did inform the rep. of our impending move, along with the location of our move, at the time of the upgrade and new contracts. I'll do my best to read the agreement, tho' alot of the jargon seems greek. I had no idea that I would have these problems with them after 2 yrs. of great service. Now, it's a nightmare. Thanks again. If nothing else, perhaps we can negotiate an early termination as suggested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">