• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any boat title advice please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Segan

What is the name of your state? Texas

Saw a boat advertised in the paper for a very decent price, motor needs work but my hubby is motor literate. Seller states he has a bill of sale when he bought the boat and has a title to the boat, but the title, for whatever reason is not in his name. Evidently the boat has had the title transferred a couple of times, something is missing, I think he told my hubby a previous bill of sale? and he never was able, or had time to get it figured out. Are we going to be able to title this? I don't want to spend money on something we won't be able to use. Any advice please? Thanks!

zippysgoddess

To transfer the title to your names, you would have to have the signature of the person whose name is on the title. If it were me, I would not buy it. Something seems fishy and if he didn't get the title in his name, he can't legally sign it over to you.

Segan

Thanks zippysgoddess

I was afraid of that, the price was too good, glad I didn't just jump and buy it without checking into it first. Thanks for your advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">