• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pheonix_669

Texas

I hope this is in the right forum, if not, please tell me where to post. Thanx We recieved a call about American Awards Association. It is out of Brooklyn, New York, and they told us we had won $250,000. They told us we needed to send $5,000 security or bonding, then they would be able to fly down and deliver the money. We have already sent the money, they recieved it and continued to keep in contact with us. The last we heard a few hours ago, was that they were going to try and book a flight down today. I have searched over the internet, and the only place I can find this company listed is with the BBB. They don't have any bad marks against them, I just have a wierd feeling about it. If anyone can tell me anything about them I would appreciate it. I live in Texas. I know I should have asked about them before we sent the money, but it was my girlfriends mom who did it, so I didn't have much say in it.

P

pheonix_669

I am begininning to think the same thing. They have not called back, and I just now found out that everytime her mom calls, she has to leave a message, and wait to be called back. If we find out it is a scam, is there anything we can do?

JETX

Sorry, but she has fallen victim of a fairly common scam.

How was she notified of this 'award'?? If by US mail, she needs to immediately contact the US Postal Inspection Service and the FBI.

How were the funds paid?? She needs to contact her bank and file a complaint and hope that they can either stop or reverse payment (unlikely since these accounts are usually closed every few days).

In any case, she needs to IMMEDIATELY take action by contacting law enforcement.

Are you sure that is the name of this scam?? The reason I ask is that this is very likely NOT an isolated case and there should be information available on them (warnings, or 'are they real', etc.).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">