• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anything left to do after paying docs office balane sent to a collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjayjay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Docs office sent the balance without billing me. Ok they may have had legal rights to do so, but I've tried to get a letter stating that the patient account has been satisfied from the collection agency (they contract with the docs office), and they said I can just hold to onto payment record showing up on my bank statement as a payment receipt and refused to provide account satisfaction letter. Docs office is keep ignoring my request for patient ledger or patient statement showing $0 balance.

The amount sent to the collection agency was what was left after insurance adjustment, and insurance payment according to the EOBs. They didn't charge interest or collection feeseven though they made me to sign a financial agreement form saying I agree to pay those interest/fees in case the balance is sent to a collection agency.

Now, should I just give up on trying to get a patient statement showing $0 outstanding balance since I paid the collection agency as trying to deal with this seemingly docs office seem to go nowhere as they are just ignoring me.

Is there something else I should do as matters of this nature should not be taken lightly?

Another thing is if something like this happened to you, would you continue your business with this docs office or go somewhere else?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Docs office sent the balance without billing me. Ok they may have had legal rights to do so, but I've tried to get a letter stating that the patient account has been satisfied from the collection agency (they contract with the docs office), and they said I can just hold to onto payment record showing up on my bank statement as a payment receipt and refused to provide account satisfaction letter. Docs office is keep ignoring my request for patient ledger or patient statement showing $0 balance.

The amount sent to the collection agency was what was left after insurance adjustment, and insurance payment according to the EOBs. They didn't charge interest or collection feeseven though they made me to sign a financial agreement form saying I agree to pay those interest/fees in case the balance is sent to a collection agency.

Now, should I just give up on trying to get a patient statement showing $0 outstanding balance since I paid the collection agency as trying to deal with this seemingly docs office seem to go nowhere as they are just ignoring me.

Is there something else I should do as matters of this nature should not be taken lightly?

Another thing is if something like this happened to you, would you continue your business with this docs office or go somewhere else?
**A: no, do not give up. And the answer to your last question is a no brainer. Unless of course, the Dr. is excellent.

jjayjay

**A: no, do not give up. And the answer to your last question is a no brainer. Unless of course, the Dr. is excellent.
So far, I have been emailing and calling this docs office to get them to issue me a final patient statement showing that there remains $0 outstanding balance, and they ignore my email or tell me they'll get their officer manager to do so and the officer manager says she'll send me a letter, but they are not doing it. Is this something that I can write them via BBB or is it better to give up and hope that they're not gonna try to charge me collection fee or interest? The fact they sent the balance to a collection agency w/o invoicing me cannot be contested, but I think I may some ground for them not issuing me a final patient statement showing that all balances have been paid off. What do you think? Personally, I'm offended by them making me deal w/ collection agency w/o invocing me and then keep ignoring my request to end this matter in writing.

swalsh411

There is no law that says they must provide you a statement showing $0 balance. Get over it and move on with your life.

jjayjay

There is no law that says they must provide you a statement showing $0 balance. Get over it and move on with your life.
Dude...... You're very PRO-Business. You're suggesting that consumers should trust this particular small group of people who run this docs office who keep giving wrong info and who keep saying wrong things and who wronged you by their error? What if they'll wrong you again by their error and by their action of ignoring my request to end the matter in writing? What makes you can trust them if they do what I've described to you? If the people who run business did not do this to me or anyone else, then I will trust them and move on with my life with no concerns about how they can financially wrong me.

However, just giving up may turn out to be the only option if there's nothing in the American system in favor of the consumers in this kind of a situation.

swalsh411

I gave you a legally correct answer.

You seem a bit off. Perhaps that's while they don't care to assist you.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjayjay

I gave you a legally correct answer.

You seem a bit off. Perhaps that's while they don't care to assist you.
Please provide a legal link supporting your claim that merchants are not bound to provide a payment receipt.

However, whether they are not bound or not, if you shop at Walmart or JCPenny, they give you a receipt EVEN IF THERE'S NO LAW REQUIRING THEM TO GIVE YOU A RECEIPT. You make a payment and you get a receipt. You have the right to ask for your payment receipt as a paying customer. That is the way system operates.

justalayman

Before you go any further, you need to find out if the debt was sold to a debt buyer who was then collecting on their paper or the account was simply sent to a collection agency for them to attempt to collect on the debt. It is difficult to determine which it is without actually asking the parties involved.

If the doctor's office sold the debt, they will never give you a paid in full statement because they were never paid in full and they weren't paid by you.

If the account remained owned by the doctor's office and it was simply a collection agency collecting on the debt, if the doctor's office will not provide a statement such as you seek, about all you can do is hold on to the dunning notices from the collection agency and any documentation you have from the doctor's office showing the balance owed and your proof of payment (cancelled check or such).

If the debt ownership was retained by the doctor's office, since you have not received satisfaction from the accounting department, it would be time to go up the ladder. I would call and ask to speak with the office manager. That is who is in charge of the entire business end of the office.

swalsh411

Please provide a legal link supporting your claim that merchants are not bound to provide a payment receipt.

However, whether they are not bound or not, if you shop at Walmart or JCPenny, they give you a receipt EVEN IF THERE'S NO LAW REQUIRING THEM TO GIVE YOU A RECEIPT. You make a payment and you get a receipt. You have the right to ask for your payment receipt as a paying customer. That is the way system operates.
A link to a law that says they don't have to do something? Hate to break it to you, but that's not how laws work. While we are on the subject there is also no law that says doctors are not bound to provide you ice cream after your appointment. Would you care to argue that because there is no law saying they don't have to do that, then it follows that they must?

cosine

You have a letter that says you owe XXX (even if it's a collection letter). You have a cleared check (image these days) and bank statement (eventually, when your bank sends it) show you paid them XXX. Keep those records forever. If someone later duns or sues you for this or some part of it, challenge them or even in some cases sue them (for example for not reporting accurately on a credit report) and bring your proof you paid XXX for a bill/debt of XXX.

Pull your credit report in 2-3 months and see what's there (maybe also right now for comparison). If this debt is on there in 2-3 monts, dispute it through the CRA as "already paid, copy of proof enclosed" (send them a copy of the evidence showing you paid). Note, they won't remove it as a result of that proof, but sending it adds to your case if this ends up in court. This dispute would have to be verified with the creditor or their failure to do so would remove it in 30 to 45 days.

Then find a different doctor to go to. This doctor obviously didn't want your business. Feel free to tell all your friends about the doctor with the bad office staff if this makes you feel better.

jjayjay

A link to a law that says they don't have to do something? Hate to break it to you, but that's not how laws work. While we are on the subject there is also no law that says doctors are not bound to provide you ice cream after your appointment. Would you care to argue that because there is no law saying they don't have to do that, then it follows that they must?
Dude... No disrespect meant to other posters (who have given legitimate advices), but you are hijacking my thread with completely irrelevant opinions and have started an online argument. Why are you trying to win this thread? Since there is "no law preventing" (to use your phrase) me from minding your private life, is anything going on in your offline life? Do you have issues that remain unsettled that are bothering you and you are venting by your quest for the victory on this thread? For your own benefit, you need to re-evaluate your character if you start/engage in a forum argument as this. You are fixated on something that has a complete and blind trust on people who run business, and you have no ability to understand that people running business can make serious errors. These small people at the office not responding to my request are simply showing another sign of their negligence. Just like they neglected to send me the invoice in the 1st place. This is not a matter of law. This is a matter of common sense. You and I can do this for weeks, months or even longer than that. I already told you that your opinions are well taken few postings up. If that is not enough go ahead and post back again. If you have any intelligence, what will you gain from keep posting on this thread? Think about it. Good luck.

Last edited:

ecmst12

You don't need help. You got a bill. You paid the bill. You have proof of payment from your bank. You do not need anything else.

Just Blue

Every Volunteer offered ADVICE to you, and all stated you HAVE your proof of payment.

Collection Notice = Pay us x amount
Cancelled check Statement = I paid x amount

jjayjay

Every Volunteer offered ADVICE to you, and all stated you HAVE your proof of payment.
You are mistaken. What you are not understanding is that they can still come back to me with interest and collection fee which is included as part of any standard financial policy agreement all docs office make you to sign.

justalayman

You are mistaken. What you are not understanding is that they can still come back to me with interest and collection fee which is included as part of any standard financial policy agreement all docs office make you to sign.
really? Mine must be special, or I am because mine does not include such verbiage.

Since you do, they can bill you for the interest and collection fees. They have a long time to do so.

and the doctor's office still does not have to provide you with a bill saying you paid the balance in full but even if they did, it wouldn't matter if you are concerned with interest and collection fees. They may not have those available at the moment. When they are calculated, they can then send you a bill. In other words, a statement with a $0 balance is not going to overrule the contract you signed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">