• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment and Room Mate Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Grenflowr1

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

August 30, 2002 - my room mate and I agreed to move in together. She did not want to move in until December but I was ready and offered to pay the rent and utilities until she graduated from college in December. She was to pay what she could when she could, not have too many over night guests and clean the common areas of the apartment. I ended up having to pay for her food, the security deposit and $300.00 in a $450.00 pet fee.

December 2002 - My room mate informs me that she hasn't found a decent enough job and will not be able to pay her share of the rent but will pay her share of utilities for January (she did in fact have a job at a department store at this time and had since we moved in). I was left to pay the entire rent, which I was not prepared for. Her boyfriend has become a permanent guest by this time.

March 9, 2003 - My room mate comes in to my room argueing with me about the cleanliness of the apartment (she feels like she is doing all of the work, I feel the same) and fighting about the utilities bill. I told her to get out of my room and I left the apartment and stayed else where that night. We do not speak for 3 days after this incident

March 13, 2003 - My room mate comes into my room at 1:30 am and wakes me up to yell at me because I went into her room to get my cat out (I didn't allow her cat in my room and she didn't allow my cat in her room but she had left her bedroom door open) I left my lighter on her dresser. I rolled over and she left the room. I then got up, packed my cats things and was in the process of taking him to my parents house for him to stay permanently until I no longer lived with her. She came out of her room, proceeded in yelling, screaming and throwing objects at me. I left without any physical violence.

March 14, 2003 - I return to the apartment at 8:00 pm with a friend. I post a notice to my room mate that I am moving out effective 3/17 and that she needs to find a new room mate. I pack up as many of my belongings as I can and then leave the apartment.

March 15, 2003 - I return with my mother and my grandmother and load all of my belongings into a UHaul and leave the apartment. I informed my room mate that I would continue to pay my part of the rent until she got her new room mate. I would also maintain all keys until that time.

Now, my question is: she is refusing to get a new room mate. What can I do so that I no longer have to pay rent and is there anyway to get any money back from her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">