• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apparently I'm on some sort of FTC watch list for class action claims....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swalsh411

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N/A

I was expecting a check from the recent Sketchers Shape-Up class action settlement but it never arrived. I called the information number and they said my claim was denied because the FTC did a cross-match against some database they keep and eliminated me because I had filed claims in other cases. (that's all they said they knew).

Yes I do file claims whenever I can, but only if I am eligible. (It's a hobby of mine). Over the past couple of years I have gotten several hundred dollars in checks from about 10 or 15 settlements. Usually the checks are for under $15, but some of them have been for over $100. (like the XM Radio privacy violation settlement)

When you file a claim, you have to check a box which says you are eligible to the best of your knowledge under penalty of perjury. The problem I can see is that for most of these I really couldn't prove I was eligible. For example, recently there was a settlement with a breakfast cereal company for making exaggerated claims about the health benefits. While I am certain I did, I can't prove I bought 3 boxes of frosted mini-wheats between 2009 and 2011.

Has anybody heard of this before? Is there some sort of watch-list database? Should I expect agents to show up at my house with a warrant for my shoe closet and cupboard?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N/A

I was expecting a check from the recent Sketchers Shape-Up class action settlement but it never arrived. I called the information number and they said my claim was denied because the FTC did a cross-match against some database they keep and eliminated me because I had filed claims in other cases. (that's all they said they knew).

Yes I do file claims whenever I can, but only if I am eligible. (It's a hobby of mine). Over the past couple of years I have gotten several hundred dollars in checks from about 10 or 15 settlements. Usually the checks are for under $15, but some of them have been for over $100. (like the XM Radio privacy violation settlement)

When you file a claim, you have to check a box which says you are eligible to the best of your knowledge under penalty of perjury. The problem I can see is that for most of these I really couldn't prove I was eligible. For example, recently there was a settlement with a breakfast cereal company for making exaggerated claims about the health benefits. While I am certain I did, I can't prove I bought 3 boxes of frosted mini-wheats between 2009 and 2011.

Has anybody heard of this before? Is there some sort of watch-list database? Should I expect agents to show up at my house with a warrant for my shoe closet and cupboard?
LOL... I don't think the special cereal agents are going to come knocking at your door swalsh, but it is my opinion that you shouldn't file the claim, if you in fact don't have proof that you ate the cereal, or wore the shoes, or purchased that service,

swalsh411

LOL... I don't think the special cereal agents are going to come knocking at your door swalsh, but it is my opinion that you shouldn't file the claim, if you in fact don't have proof that you ate the cereal, or wore the shoes, or purchased that service,
Considering that a lot of settlements involve ordinary household items like activia or pinot grigio, I don't think too many people would have receipts for that. Who keeps receipts from the grocery store?

OHRoadwarrior

I didn't get suckered in by the bogus claims in the first place :cool:
I actually like the shoes. So do the rest of the family. That said, they appear to have the same physical response as wearing an incorrect orthotic. The result appears to have exacerbated other injuries and caused significant financial expense.

OHRoadwarrior

Considering that a lot of settlements involve ordinary household items like activia or pinot grigio, I don't think too many people would have receipts for that. Who keeps receipts from the grocery store?
My wife. She can go back 10 years easily. Her mom and dad were even worse. He keeps records for decades.

swalsh411

Well in case anybody cares I found out what happened.

Apparently the FTC denied your claim if you had already filed a claim in another shoe-related settlement from about a year ago. None of the documents I could find said they could or would be doing this, and they never sent you a letter saying you were denied or giving you an opportunity to appeal. (for example, to send in receipts or pictures of you wearing the shoes). I think that is bogus especially coming from a taxpayer funded agency whose mission it is to protect the consumer.

TigerD

Who keeps receipts from the grocery store?
We do. We scan every piece of mail, every receipt, and even save to a separate location every email sent and received and - yes - even my forum posts here.

But I have been audited and while I was able to prove most everything, I was missing one - single piece of paper from several years before and it resulted in my having pay the IRS about $300. So we started saving everything.

DC

PS: We have a ScanSnap 1500. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">