• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

asking for ID's for credit card purchases???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vargas00

Illinois

we were asked to id's when making a credit cardpurchase at a highly respected boot store in michigan city, indiana. i thought it was against thelaw to ask for id's when making credit card purchases, unless the card was not signed.

thanks.

vargas00

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vargas00 said:
Illinois

we were asked to id's when making a credit cardpurchase at a highly respected boot store in michigan city, indiana. i thought it was against thelaw to ask for id's when making credit card purchases, unless the card was not signed.

thanks.

vargas00
===================================

My response:

Well, then you thought wrong. There is no law against asking for identification in this type of situation. More and more merchants ask for identification to determine whether a card actually belongs to a customer. This is for everyone's protection - - you, the merchant, the credit card company, and the public in general - - to protect against fraud.

IAAL

HomeGuru

And if you refuse to show ID, the establishment can refuse to accept the charge card and only accept cash.

F

first try

showing ID is a pain but...

As has already been stated, asking for ID is for the protection of us all. More cards are stolen this time of year & used at stores by people other than the card's owner. We had this happen to us one Xmas, someone received our card in the mail & used it. We didn't even know until we received the bill! Thankfully the CC company didn't make us pay. Because of this, I don't mind stores asking for ID. I've read where clerks have questioned customers,gone in the back to call police & the customer ran off,leaving a card that had been reported as stolen at the register!

C

CTSCAM

In the same aspect as stated above it should make you feel better when asked for ID. Just think if you had a Visa with a 15,000 dollar limit that was stolen, and the thief went to make a large purchase and wasn't asked for ID, you'd be screwed. I feel better when asked for ID and you should too, even thought it can be a pain sometimes.

CTSCAM :D

Disclaimer-
The views expressed in this reply are solely the opinion of CTSCAM and are not to be considered as legal advice. This reply does not represent attorney-client privilage, and as so cannot be use in the court of law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">