• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

billheather

What is the name of your state? georgia
We retained an attorney for ($1500 and are making payments) a child support issue. We signed a contract with him and have the right to terminate if we wish, and the contract says that that we pay a non-refundable retainer fee. Nothing has happened with the case and the lawyer has done nothing for us and we wish to terminate the services, do we get the part of the retainer fee back that we paid??

B

billheather

yea but that should be if he did work for us...he hasnt done any work and all we did was a 1 hour consultaion and he can keep the money for that.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: response

billheather said:
we signed the contract on nov 4 2002

My response:

It's only been a month (with an intervening Holiday) and you're ALREADY complaining?

Oh, man. I'm sorry, but if you were my client, you wouldn't be my client any more.

IAAL

B

billheather

response

nothing has happened with the case, we havnt heard anything from the ex and we think she probably backed out of it all, so we feel that it is not worth continously paying the lawyer for nothing, and if he hasnt done anyting for us then we should get the money we paid him minius the consultation back.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: response

billheather said:
nothing has happened with the case, we havnt heard anything from the ex and we think she probably backed out of it all, so we feel that it is not worth continously paying the lawyer for nothing, and if he hasnt done anyting for us then we should get the money we paid him minius the consultation back.

My response:

The only problem that I can see with your attorney is that he probably didn't explain how long it would take to get your case into court.

An attorney just doesn't file papers on the same day that you saw him. And, besides, even if he did, the other party still has to have 30 days to respond to your Motion.

You're just impatient, and you don't know the legal "process."

I'll bet you anything that you haven't even called your attorney to find out if there is any status.

Oh, please. Hell, I don't even know you and I'D PAY just to get rid of you.

IAAL

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Writer: If I was your attorney, I would refund your money, give you a $500 bonus, return your file and say "see ya".

B

billheather

your making me sound like a fool so let me tell you the whole story. my husband's ex faince threatened to sue him for back child support and start a support order. that is when we decided to get an attorney of our own. we met with him once and he explained to us what the ex could do and told us to wait till we hear anything from the ex, she was the one filing the motion, not us. we have reason to believe that she backed out, and since nothing has happened that is why we want to cancel the contract.
so basically we got the lawyer in case anything happened and nothing has so we dont need him anymore.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, if you're not a fool, and since YOU signed a contract perhaps, then, you can tell me what the term "Non-Refundable" means to you?

Your money is safe and sound in your attorney's "Client Trust Account" so that when the ex finally does something, the money will be there waiting to be "earned" by the attorney.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">