• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Authorized $71.41 on Debit Card: 3 weeks later $803.09 Debited

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

highamperage

Hello! I have a question about merchant billing with regards to authorization holds. Earlier this July, I shipped a package via FedEx International (in person, in their store, I do NOT have a FedEx account) and paid $71.41 via Debit Card in the store. Just this morning, they debited $803.09 from my debit card account. I called them to inquire about the issue, and they were able to confirm the charge was the result of tracking number of the package I shipped, but unable to explain why until they get more information tomorrow (7/30)

When I asked why I paid $71 in the store and was later charged an additional $803, they said the original amount was just an authorization and they don't charge until the package is delivered - but the amount can differ. I looked at my records and indeed the $71 charge fell off my account, but I don't see how the credit card receipt I signed for $71.41 should allow them to randomly debit $803. My thinking is, even if they want to charge me extra for something (Customs, location difference, etc) they cannot/should not charge more than the authorized amount to my debit card, but rather invoice me or call me for additional payment. And unexpected charge like that has created quite an inconvenience.

Does anyone have any input on this?

If I ever use FedEx again, I'll be paying in crisp cash for sure!

Thanks for any input!

BTW: I am located in Texas, United States

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You shipped international - you are likely also responsible for fees on the receiving end - check your contract to be sure.

LdiJ

You shipped international - you are likely also responsible for fees on the receiving end - check your contract to be sure.
I have arranged for a LOT of international shipments in my days and I cannot imagine any fees on the receiving end being that high. Even countries with high customs rates wouldn't be that high unless the value of the item being shipped was worth at least 5k.

Highamperage, what did you ship? How much was it worth, and what country did you ship it to?

single317dad

I have arranged for a LOT of international shipments in my days and I cannot imagine any fees on the receiving end being that high. Even countries with high customs rates wouldn't be that high unless the value of the item being shipped was worth at least 5k.

Highamperage, what did you ship? How much was it worth, and what country did you ship it to?
Agreed. I've shipped thousands of packages overseas, and only once have I had to pay anything beyond the original shipping charge. That was a case of hiring a direct courier to deliver the package all the way to the receiver.

The receiver is responsible for VAT/taxes/customs/etc.

Read whatever paperwork you received from the shipping office carefully. It's possible you agreed to additional charges somehow.

Myself, if they didn't refund this charge, I'd dispute it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">