• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Contract Binding Agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

polo10

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My husband and I purchased a vehicle and later found out that he has orders to go to Germany. 3o days have not past and the lean holder will not allow us to take the car to Germany because it is a new car. The dealer will not take the car back. Is there a 30 day law for large purchases to be binding? Can the dealer be accountable for taking that vehicle back?

divgradcurl

polo10 said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My husband and I purchased a vehicle and later found out that he has orders to go to Germany. 3o days have not past and the lean holder will not allow us to take the car to Germany because it is a new car. The dealer will not take the car back. Is there a 30 day law for large purchases to be binding? Can the dealer be accountable for taking that vehicle back?
There is no general right to rescind a contract like you suggest. I assume from what you have written that your husband is in the service -- if that is the case, he should talk to his local JAG to see if there are any special rules that help soldiers in such a case -- but I wouldn't count on it. You will probably either have to simply leave the vehicle here, and keep paying on it, and use it when you get back, or sell it to someone else.

JETX

One other suggestion that MAY help is called the SSCRA (Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act). Though it is of limited benefit in the case of your car loan, it does limit the amount of interest that can be charged to 6 percent per year.
Check with his JAG officer for qualifications and procedures.
http://www.dod.mil/specials/Relief_Act_Revision/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">