• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto contract--Qualifies as material mistake?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Skyhawkcaw

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

When reviewing a contract for a new vehicle I purchased this past weekend, I noticed that among the options checked off on the contract was a box indicating the car had an automatic transmission. (There were similar boxes for power windows, steering etc.) This section of the contract had been printed out by computer.

Of course, the new car the contract refers to does not have an automatic transmission.

I've looked over the forums and saw the similar question recently answered re: 1997/8 model years. There the problem seemed rather minor. In this case though the presence of this option presumably defines the car in a way that the gelding/brood mare example does in the FAQ. (Don't mean to be pretentious--just wanted to let people know I looked around before asking.)

Thus is this mis-statement of the car in any sort of substantive way? Should the contract be reprinted and resigned?

Thanks.

racer72

Take the contract back to the dealer and ask for it to be corrected. There is always that very small chance it could affect things such as the warranty in the future.

S

Skyhawkcaw

Thanks for your reply. It's one of the things I was wondering about and was concerned about (also re: resale and transfer at a later date).

Admittedly, I've also been curious if the mistake provides an opening for contract cancellation as there's another car that was an interesting possibility for me. Knowing how "buyer's remorse" works though, I thought I would drop that from the initial post--no sense "remorsing" about it if it's a done deal...

I'll be at Wazzu next year teaching, so it was a surprise to see where the first answer came from.

Thanks again.

[Edit: Note for any future replies--the VIN # is accurate on the bill of sale, and I didn't want auto transmission anyway. And yes, I also know the dubiousness with which squirming out of contracts is often (and rightly) viewed on these boards. But I thought I'd ask regardless.]

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">