• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Cosigner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tejoch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I recently cosigned an auto loan for my daughter-in-law (due to her credit standing). I was made primary on the loan. The title is with the lien holder.

Two days ago, she moved out and took the car with her. I now have no way to ensure that the payments are made in full/on time. Can I take the car back and sell it? (I cannot afford the payments) Do I need to get a court order to "force" her to make the payments? -- I cannot say at this point that she will not make payments, but I need to cover myself.

tejoch

The title is with the lien holder as there is a balance due. (I have not seen the actual document) -- I am, however, listed as primary on the loan due to her credit standing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The title is with the lien holder as there is a balance due. (I have not seen the actual document) -- I am, however, listed as primary on the loan due to her credit standing.
You didn't answer the question. How is the car titled?
What I am looking for can also be found on the registration paperwork.

tejoch

The title had both names. -- I have also recently found that she is already 2 months behind in payments.

Antigone*

Ok, let me be explicit.

How is the car titled...WORD FOR WORD, EXACTLY?
Zigner it doesn't look like you'll ever get a straight answser. Just let the inevitable ball drop and let the OP know that he's got two month's payments he's got to make up. He's going to have to pay the balance of the loan, and that he should have known better than to help obtain credit for someone who has already shown their inability to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">