• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto dealer breaking the law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carguy15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

The auto dealership that I work for breaks the law every day by selling vehicles over the advertised price. Their philosophy is if the customer doesn't catch it, it's all good. If they do, we'll play stupid & drop the price. In good conscience, I know it's not right but I'm doing what I have to do to feed my family until I can locate another dealership.

I called the attorney general regarding this but they would not take any info without me identifying myself. I don't want to get my employer in trouble as much as I don't want to participate in this activity.

I'm trying to find another sales job, but summer is not the best time to find a position in this business. Usually there are no openings. Just looking for some advice & direction.....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why do you think it's illegal to sell a car for more than the advertised price?

FlyingRon

Car ads are almost always weasel worded that the given price applies to only one specific instance of the vehicle. However, you *ARE* wrong. If the customer wants the advertised price, it's incumbent on them to ask for it. They may have recourse if they find out after the sale. Ohio has no specific price/advertising statutes. FTC laws require some aspect of Federal jurisdiction. Typically for cars this involves deals applied by the manufacturer. In your case I'm not sure it even applies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My take on it is that the advertisement would need to be what enticed the customer to come to the dealership in the first place. If I walk past a dealership and just fall in love with that hot red convertible, then the advertisement isn't what brought me in in the first place. Now, if I was flipping through the local classified ads (do they still have those?) and saw an ad for a hot red convertible for a certain price, then I would go to the dealer and ask to see the hot red convertible for sale at $xx,xxx.xx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">