• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Dealer Overcharge Registration Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashina74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I recently purchased a used car from a FL auto dealer. At time of purchase I prepaid a fixed amount for registration fees. The amount appears on the bill of sale as registration fees. I also asked if there are any additional fees I should be aware of and the answer was NO and if actual registration fees will be lower I will receive a refund for the difference.

After few weeks I received a lower refund check amount than expected from the auto dealer. After checking the amounts I discovered to my surprise that additional "service fees" were added by a third party business that handled the registration. I received a receipt for the registration including the overcharged "service fees" from a the third party

Is this practice legal? Do I have any legal recourse?

Again, these service fees were never disclosed on the bill of sale and only discovered after receiving the refund check.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I recently purchased a used car from a FL auto dealer. At time of purchase I prepaid a fixed amount for registration fees. The amount appears on the bill of sale as registration fees. I also asked if there are any additional fees I should be aware of and the answer was NO and if actual registration fees will be lower I will receive a refund for the difference.

After few weeks I received a lower refund check amount than expected from the auto dealer. After checking the amounts I discovered to my surprise that additional "service fees" were added by a third party business that handled the registration. I received a receipt for the registration including the overcharged "service fees" from a the third party

Is this practice legal? Do I have any legal recourse?

Again, these service fees were never disclosed on the bill of sale and only discovered after receiving the refund check.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Those fees should not have been taken out of your refund check. Have you called the dealer and let them know they shorted your refund?

Antigone*

I wouldn't be so sure. The dealership may tell you this service fee is part of the registration fees.
Jiggy, it would have had to been disclosed if the customer was to pay it. Many dealerships use third party services to process their registrations. It is a cost of doing business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">