• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto dealership documentation fees in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelel01

In Georgia, is it illegal for car dealerships to negotiate their (bs) documentation fees? A finance manager told me this yesterday, and I don't believe him.

I know that there's no LIMIT to what their doc fees can be, but he said that they HAVE to charge all customers the same amount. True or false?

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

swalsh411

If they don't want to negotiate on the doc fee then they won't. Dealerships rarely if ever do. Negotiate the price of the car or other terms. Whether or not it's actually illegal is moot. If this is a deal breaker for you then you don't have to buy the car.

I have heard that there have been lawsuits when the same dealer doesn't charge the same fee on each sale (something about RICO) but I don't know enough about it to say that with certainty.

kelel01

I guess for me it was more about the principle of being lied to. But if they're trying to avoid lawsuits that have actually happened in the past, I suppose that's close enough.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">