• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto dealership misrepresentation re: buying extra insurance policy (GAP) insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liquidmoon

What is the name of your state?
tennessee

We purchased a new 2004 malibu chevy from a rather large dealership last year in june. At the time they offered us GAP insurance and we specifically asked 3 different times of the finance officer " if my husband gets sick and can't pay the notes will this cover this?" and she said yes each time so we took it because it covered other things also and wasn't much more than an extra 10 or 15 dollars. Well as it turns out, my husband has become sick and is not able to work any longer so I call the gap insurance company to report this and they tell me that the gap insurance does not cover this particular insurance and that we were talking about credit, life and disability insurance, which by the way they never offered. We have since found out that it is supposed to be a law for tennessee auto dealerships to offer the credit, life and disability insurance to its buyers. Is this true, and if not at the very least, do we have a legal leg to stand on in a civil suit? We are just about to lose our car now because the only income we have now is my disability which is 32.00 a month more than the car note. So, until and unless my husband gets approved for social security disability we can not continue to pay the notes. Please advise, one dealership told us that they were sued for a substantial amount in one of these cases where the wife died and the spouse thought the gap insurance paid when death or illness ensued also. Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Beverly DiBiasi :mad:

You Are Guilty

I'm afraid what you heard is not correct (both about the Gap insurance and about the consequences). You, as the consumer, are required to read all the contracts you sign. If you do not understand what any of it means, you should not sign until you do.

You can try contacting the financing company to see if you can work something out, otherwise, you can expect the car to be repo'd relatively soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">