• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maytulip

Florida-My husband and I leased a 2009 VW Jetta on October 13, 2009. On November 6th my husband had to contact the dealership because they had not yet paid off the vehicle we traded in. On November 13th my husband contacted VW Financial, the leasing company, because we had not received any type of payment information and the 1st payment was due. My husband was told that we did not have an account and there was no information submitted. On December 10th my husband contacted the leasing company again concerning making a payment and still we had no account set up to make a payment. Today, December 17th, the dealership where we leased the car contacted us about giving them the 2 payments that had past and resubmitting the contract because the dealership stated that we signed on the wrong line and the contract was rejected by the leasing company. Are we legally responsible for the two payments since the contract was rejected and do we have to sign a new contract or can we return the car?

TheLawMan

Judging from the facts that you provided, it sounds like a fully enforceable contract was formed. Granted you may have signed on the wrong line, but the underlying issue is that both you and the dealership fully intended to contract at the time you signed. To add to this, you drove the car off the lot and continued driving it for 2 months. Because a valid contract was formed, you will be responsible for the past and future payments as the agreement sets forth.

Since VW Financial did not accept the paperwork, the dealership obviously did not get paid. If you do not correctly sign the paperwork as the dealership is asking you to do, they can initiate a lawsuit against you to (1) reclaim the purchase price that they would have received from VW Financial or (2) force you to sign the paperwork so that they can properly submit it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">