• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Loan Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcran

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife entered into an auto loan contract with a credit union in Florida on 6-28-09 and was for 72 months so the maturity date would be 5-31-15. Even though she has been late frequently (rolling 30's) and has 2 extensions, as of today the CU is saying she still owes $3,331.03. Obviously the rolling 30's added up to many late fees ($990.00 worth), but they are trying to charge for many Repossession Close Out Fees, 5 totaling $510. They never came to get the vehicle, but still charged these fees. They did actually come and get it once, but brought it back because it was their mistake and the payment was up to date at the time, they stilled charges a repossession fee for that.

We have asked for a statement of all charges and credits, but they refuse to produce one for us. Don't they have to provide a statement if we are disputing the balance? Also, I believe they are charging interest on the late fees, not sure if this is illegal or not.

Just real confused how they come up with a balance of $3,331.03 when the loan matured in May 2015.

Any help would be appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife entered into an auto loan contract with a credit union in Florida on 6-28-09 and was for 72 months so the maturity date would be 5-31-15. Even though she has been late frequently (rolling 30's) and has 2 extensions, as of today the CU is saying she still owes $3,331.03. Obviously the rolling 30's added up to many late fees ($990.00 worth), but they are trying to charge for many Repossession Close Out Fees, 5 totaling $510. They never came to get the vehicle, but still charged these fees. They did actually come and get it once, but brought it back because it was their mistake and the payment was up to date at the time, they stilled charges a repossession fee for that.

We have asked for a statement of all charges and credits, but they refuse to produce one for us. Don't they have to provide a statement if we are disputing the balance? Also, I believe they are charging interest on the late fees, not sure if this is illegal or not.

Just real confused how they come up with a balance of $3,331.03 when the loan matured in May 2015.

Any help would be appreciated.
The fact that they refuse to produce a detailed statement is definitely a major issue. Those records should absolutely be available and they should absolutely produce them to a customer in a scenario like this one.

It would be an unusual thing to do, but you could sue them in small claims court to attempt to erase the debt. Then they WOULD have to prove it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">