• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto purchase gone sour!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicagorobbie

I live in Chicago, IL. I purchased a new car from a dealership two weeks ago. The Bill of Sale included an attachment outlining the dealer's responsibility to add aftermarket leather seats and door panels to the car. I returned the car two days later for the appointment. When it was delivered to me, there were many problems: the leather on the seats didn't match the doors, the seats were speckled with white dots, the rear seat was damaged, the plastic on the door panels was discolored, the door handles and locks were scratched, the paint on the side of the every door was chipped where they removed the panels, the steering wheel was scratched, and one of the leather panels had a small tear on it. I typed a letter requesting that all of the above be repaired and returned the car to the dealer, who assured me they would send it back to the shop and repair everything on the list. When the car was returned for the second time, they only fixed ONE of the items (the broken rear seat anchor). The manager apologized, then signed my letter, with an addendum on it that said all of the repairs would be made by the end of next week. I have a copy of the letter. If I show up to pick up the car and I am still not satisfied with the work, what are my rights? Can I ask for a full refund and leave the car? Will I be forced to take the dealer to small claims court? Is it poblematic that there is a subcontractor involved? How should I proceed?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">