• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto repair caused engine damage--should I get a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deborahsp

What is the name of your state?:mad: What is the name of your state? New York

Recently, an auto mechanic replaced "difficult to remove" spark plugs. He drilled them out, without consulting with me about less potentially damaging remedies. Two days after picking up the vehicle, the oil light came on. It is now burning 7 quarts of oil every 90-100 miles. I stopped payment on the check for the repair bill--which totaled $1200. The vehicle NEVER burned any oil prior to this repair--I have documentation to prove it. Estimates for needed engine work range from $6500+.

I filed a complaint with NYS DMV. There seems to be a conflict of interest with the DMV investigator and this repair shop. The investigator told me he "has a mutual friend" that advised the mechanic on this repair. The mechanic has offered to install an engine, if I buy an engine. This is not to my satisfaction. The investigator says I will get around $2000 (the exact amount has not yet been determined). He says I am still responsible for the repair bill, even though the mechanic's work damaged the engine. I feel like I am getting screwed.

What are my legal options? Is this a small claims court issue? Is it worth my while to consult with an attorney? Should I give up, despite my losses. Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

justice1977

Bbb

I hope you get that creep for screwing up your car. The DMV is not the only place to turn.

The first thing I would do is call the attoreny general's office and see if they can help
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/consumer_issues.html

If they won't, see if you can get a lawyer to handle your case on a contingency basis (with a free consultation). The most it will cost you is the time with the lawyer and maybe a court filing fee if they refuse to settle. Even if I couldn't get the free consult, I would pay anyway, just to get a professional opinion on the matter, since about $6500 is at stake.

You can also call your local better business bureau and see if they will help you out.

deborahsp

justice1977--Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I will check with the Attorney General's office--although it is my understanding that DMV has jurisdiction in the matter.

How do I get a referral for a good attorney? The NYS Bar Association? I don't know the right place to start.

msiron--Actually, steel chips from the drilling went into the cyclinder bores, scratched the cylinder walls, and fried the oil rings in a matter of minutes. I have had the problem assessed by several different shops--including a dealer's service dept. The monkey should have recommended removing the cylinder heads before drilling, if he was unable to remove the plugs with a socket set and grease. His work was clearly negligent, based upon the opinions of 3 mechanics and DMV. I did not hire a driller--I hired a mechanic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">