• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Repair under warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tech

What is the name of your state?
California

Last April 2002, I had my daughter's 96 neon transmission completly rebuilt, it cost me $1500.00. The company has a 1 year or 12k miles warranty on their work, parts and labor. (Only 8k on new rebuilt tranny) My daughter moved 450 miles away to attend college in August 2002. January 9th, her transmission went out again. It was an roadside emergency, she could only drive it in 1st gear, and I advised her to take it to a transmission shop. She took it to the tranny shop, and sure enough the transmission had failed. I called the shop in my town and explained that the tranny had gone out, but was still under their warranty.
The transmission shop where my daughter lives replaced the torque converter, housing governor, lock-up and solenoid plus the tranny fluids. The same parts I had replaced in April 2002. The total cost was roughly $800.00.
I have been in contact with the original transmission shop and they stated that since we did not bring the car to them or call them first they will not honor the 1 year warranty. They wanted me to bring the car to them, Tow it 450 miles to them??? I have the two transmission shops talking with each other, and I have asked for replacement parts to be paid for by the original transmission shop, to honor their warranty. Right now, they have no answer for me, seems like they do not want to pay for the faulty parts and or repairs that they have performed.
My question is, Am I entitled to a refund from the first transmission shop that has my daughters car under warranty? Even though she moved away to go to college, the transmission should of performed properly, and a decent shop should stand behind their work. Pleae help,
Thanks,
Tech

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">