• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Repair Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

solrocket

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I was traveling from NJ to Florida when my transmission blew in North Carolina. An auto repair shop replaced it with a used transmission for apprx. $1500. They provided a 30 day warranty and promised to take of me if I had any problems on the rest of my trip. Soon as I left the repair shop on the highway my O/D Transmission light came on. I took it straight back and after looking at it they thought it was just a computer code that probably needed to be cleared by a dealer - I should be ok for the rest of my trip. Well, I did make it to Florida and a local dealer informed me that the transmission I got was defective and had to be replaced or rebuilt. I called the original repair shop several times and each time they say I must talk to the owner who has not returned my calls. I do not want to leave it with the original repair shop - they also suggested I bring it back. Do I have adequate grounds for a successful suit?

CraigFL

I hope you have that in writing. If so, and they refuse to talk, you will need to sue them in small claims court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If he's got a 30 day warranty, he needs to take it back to the original shop so they can have the opportunity to repair...

You can definitely sue them , only if you have enough evidence to prove their fallacy. Do you have anything in writing from them, or some reliable eyewitness? If not, then you won't be able to prove them guilty. But ethically you are right.

ecmst12

Give them back the faulty transmission and let them give you back your money so you can go elsewhere. I don't see why you'd have to give them the opportunity to do the repair.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Give them back the faulty transmission and let them give you back your money so you can go elsewhere. I don't see why you'd have to give them the opportunity to do the repair.
Because the warranty doesn't allow for that perhaps? :rolleyes:

solrocket

The receipt only states "Warranty 30 days" for the repair with the actual dates - nothing else. I did have the shop owner hand-write on the receipt that the transmission had a blinking o/d transmission light and that they would "make good" if it wasn't a memory issue with the car's computer. I should have a good case but another issue I have is taking the time to sue in North Carolina since I'm located in NJ. The case is too small for a lawyer and I believe everything must be done in person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">