• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Repairs done incorrectly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dswett319

Maintowoc, When we lived in Illinois I took my car in for repair and it was not right so I stopped payment on the check and the owner came and picked up my car today and demanded payment. I told him I would make payment on the car when it was done correctly. He demanded I wright him a new check since I stopped payment on the check before and we are not sure what the problem is now and he said this is warranty work. How can it be warranty work when he does not even know what the problem is. He originally had my car 5 weeks. We picked up the car on July 27th and have had several conversations with him and it has taken him over a month to get my car back to the shop...If I stop payment until we pick the car up when it is fixed is this legal...I have no problem paying him for the work that is correct but I don't feel that i should pay him for work that is not correct and since it has taken him so long to come get my car here in Manitowoc where we live and it was not drivable why should I pay him until the work that is wrong is correct...I need help on this asap.

EvilSpark

You should not have stopped payment of the check. He can (and will) file a mechanic's lien on your vehicle.

He is right, it is warranty work. I've had repair shops do a less than perfect job, and I took the car back there with no problems.

BL

First off you need to repay the mechanic .

Secondly , if he is saying it's warranty work , then make sure it is .

Additionally , you do not say what the problem is with the vehicle and what repairs have been attempted ,and what you have authorized the mechanic to do .

While you might think diagnoses and repair should be cut and dry ,that is not always the case .

Sometimes mechanics have to start somewhere and work their way toward a fix .

Having it 5 weeks may or may not be long , depending on the problem .

Having said that ,there are some mechanics that just haven't a clue .

So, depending on the problem , you may want to pull it out of there , or have a second opinion / diagnoses done .

A little more expensive but an authorized repair shop from the manufacture might get a proper DX .

If you might think about a DIY shade tree fix - go to batauto.com . follow the rules ,post your problem and get some repair feedback.

Good Luck.

Also , if you pull the car out of this shop and the second DX and fix is WAY off from the original shop , request a refund , or take the first place to court.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">