• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto repairs, parts, and warranties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

am_i_screwed

I'm in Illinois, and about three weeks ago, my husband's car broke down while he was working and had to be towed to a shop near where he was but about 60 miles from our home. We had to replace the water pump. We knew it was going so we had one in the car. The shop that fixed it said they couldn't guarantee the part. We said that was fine.

While there, we asked him about the power steering pump because we thought there was a leak. He told us it wasn't the pump, but both hoses were leaking at the rack and pinion. We decided to wait on that repair since it was also several hundred dollars.

A couple of weeks ago, we had the HOSE (yes, only one) replaced, and we decided that the original shop was a bit untrustworthy as they had told us hoses had to be replaced when they didn't.

Today, I had to take the car in to another shop for what I thought was a new radiator hose. In actuality, it was the gasket that was put on when the water pump was replaced. So now I need another new water pump and another repair.

Since the original shop is 60 miles away and won't pay for the tow, am I obligated to take it back to the original shop? Also, is the original shop obligated to make good on the WORK, even though they do not have to guarantee the part?

EDIT: I also found out from the new shop that when the original shop did the work, they didn't even put on a gasket, and one of the bolts was missing? To quote the tech: "I'm surprised it held together this long." Was the original shop intentionally trying to screw me? Do I have any rights here?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">