• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Repossession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mperry708

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

In June of 2006 I purchased a car for $12,563. 28. They repossessed it October of 2008 with a balance of $7,475.18 left. They sold my car for $590.00 at the auction. They told me I owe a balance of $5,000.00. Is there anyway I can avoid this? They know the car wasn't even worth that much. I am not trying to get out of paying for it, but I let them take it back because it was a piece of crap and they wouldn't fix it.

~Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

In June of 2006 I purchased a car for $12,563. 28. They repossessed it October of 2008 with a balance of $7,475.18 left. They sold my car for $590.00 at the auction. They told me I owe a balance of $5,000.00.
Then they are being generous. They COULD have asked for much more.
Is there anyway I can avoid this?
Try to negotiate a lower amount. You WILL have to pay something.
They know the car wasn't even worth that much.
Not their problem
I am not trying to get out of paying for it, but I let them take it back because it was a piece of crap and they wouldn't fix it.
What in the WORLD makes you think that the finance folks are obligated to fix your vehicle?

~Thank you.
You're welcome!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">