• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Service Repair shop used a salvaged part without disclosing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jstill97

What is the name of your state? Virginia

An auto repair shop installed a salvaged engine transmission into my car without disclosing that informtion before hand. It was only after I returned to the dealership twice to complain about leaking that I was informed that there was no warranty on the work and that the part was a salvaged part. Before I agreed on any work to be done, I informed the service rep that I was going to be moving and that I was searching for a transmission repair on my vehicle. He quoted me a price and I ask would that be a rebuilt transmission and he told me, "No, it would be a new unit". I agreed to the work. I later returned to the dealership after a couple of weeks to complain about leaking. They repaired the leak and provided me with a rental car for the day. I returned two days later to complain about leaking, when I was then told that there was no warranty on the transmission, because it was a salvaged part and they wouldn't warranty none Ford Motor Company parts. I was never informed that the part was salvaged and that it wouldn't be warrantied. They went on to say that the clutch had a warranty, but it was warrantied by NAPA Stores. None of that was disclosed before I made the purchase. I went to the service manager and the dealership manager, they told me that they wouldn't cover the work, because I should have known that I was getting a salvaged part for such an inexpensive cost. I was not informed of the salvaged part and I specifically told the service rep that I needed the work to be warrantied because I was traveling out of state.

JETX

What EXACTLY does the estimate and invoice say as to the transmission and source??? Does it say NEW transmission??

J

jstill97

The invoice states the following:
1 MISC LKQ Transmission $600
1 MISC 10-53004 KIT (Clutch) $210
Replace TRANS and Clutch per previoust EST
RAR R&R TRANS, Replace Unit and Recheck
888 CP 7.00 (labor) $504
Customer Pay Shop supplies for Repair Order $25.00

Their is no mention on the invoice of the item being new, repaired, or salvaged.

It was not disclosed that the transmission was from a salvaged vehicle until after the second complaint about leakage. I was told at that time the part wasn't warrantied, however the clutch was with a third party. NAPA Auto parts was allegedly supposed to warranty a part bought by Freedom Ford. If I had a problem with the clutch I would have to contact NAPA. I didn't purchase the part from NAPA, Freedom Ford did. I have no invoice from NAPA, only Freedom Ford. I'm sure that all that information should have been disclosed on the invoice estimate before purchase and it should have been on the receipt. There is no mention on the receipt of any such warranty with NAPA.

Thank You

Gerald

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">