• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto shop troubles HELP!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rowediver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I took my car to the tranmission shop. They tell me the trans is bad. I bring them a used one. They install it. 3 weeks later I ask when can I get my car, I am told that they dont have the diagnoses computer to clear the fault codes and that I need to come get my car and take it to anouther shop with the proper equipment. I ask about my bill and they tell me that they did thier job (r&r) remove and reinstall. I feel that I should not have to pay since I need to take the car to someone else. I also feel that they should never agreed to work on a car that they did not have the equipment to work on it. Yes I did ask prior and was told that they have worked on many on these. Where do I stand? can I go get my car? can they hold it til paid? can I get in trouble for theft of sevice? If the next shop hooks it up and tells me shes good to go, I would have no problem paying the shop minus the bill from the new shop. HELP

racer72

You have to pay for the services provided, transmission R&R, before the shop will give you the car. They don't have to give it to you till you pay. Please explain why you should hold this shop liable for something they have no control over. It's not their problem you did not check them out prior to engaging their services.

rowediver

they didnt finish the job

You have to pay for the services provided, transmission R&R, before the shop will give you the car. They don't have to give it to you till you pay. Please explain why you should hold this shop liable for something they have no control over. It's not their problem you did not check them out prior to engaging their services.

Shouldnt the shop have the proper equipment to finish the job? I feel the shop should finish the job. I paid them to install the transmission. I dont consider bolting up a trans installation. I could have easily done that myself. I deferred the job to the proffessionals because I dont have the proper computer to do the job. these cars are ran on and by the computer. I am not holding the sho liable for the transmission I brought them I am holding them liable to finish the job. How is it right that I need to pay to have my car towed to a shop that can finish the job they started? Most shops are going to want to pull the trans because they want to check the work done by these guys. Odds are this shop has done something incorrect that you believe I should pay for?

swalsh411

If they did the work but the only issue is clearing the fault codes then you need to pay them for the work they did. They won't let you have the car until you do. You can pay another shop to just clear the codes. They don't have to remove the transmission. If you think I'm wrong call the police and tell them they are holding your car illegally.

I dont consider bolting up a trans installation. I could have easily done that myself.
Riiiiiiight

rowediver

I dont know the problem

If it is just a code clear that would be great. But at this point I don't know the problem, nor does the shop. If the had the tools to work on this car we both would know what the problem is. Thats my point. I don't know if this shop has done the job correctly. They can not tell me what is wrong with the car without the proper tools. And yes I have the skills and tools to do a install on this car. The actual R&R is very easy on this car. I have worked on much more difficult cars. But I didn't want to have trouble with the computer. If the computer is not hooked up and disconected in the right order it can cause damage to the TCU. Also to fill the transmission fluid it needs to be conected to the computer so the TCU can run resistant test as you add fluid. I know for a fact that the shp did not have the abilty to do this correctly. I have spoke with the maker of the transmission in Germany (ZF industries) They informed me that there should be no work on the transmission without having the proper computer. So what about that?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I took my car to the tranmission shop. They tell me the trans is bad. I bring them a used one. They install it. 3 weeks later I ask when can I get my car, I am told that they dont have the diagnoses computer to clear the fault codes and that I need to come get my car and take it to anouther shop with the proper equipment. I ask about my bill and they tell me that they did thier job (r&r) remove and reinstall. I feel that I should not have to pay since I need to take the car to someone else. I also feel that they should never agreed to work on a car that they did not have the equipment to work on it. Yes I did ask prior and was told that they have worked on many on these. Where do I stand? can I go get my car? can they hold it til paid? can I get in trouble for theft of sevice? If the next shop hooks it up and tells me shes good to go, I would have no problem paying the shop minus the bill from the new shop. HELP
OK ,this is a transmission shop . I agree with you . They should finish the job properly .

I also agree ,it depends on what you hired them to do.

If you need to pay extra ,have the shop take it to some other shop to hook it up to finish the Job .

Have you talked to them about what the manufacture stated .Try to work something out ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If it is just a code clear that would be great. But at this point I don't know the problem, nor does the shop. If the had the tools to work on this car we both would know what the problem is. Thats my point. I don't know if this shop has done the job correctly. They can not tell me what is wrong with the car without the proper tools. And yes I have the skills and tools to do a install on this car. The actual R&R is very easy on this car. I have worked on much more difficult cars. But I didn't want to have trouble with the computer. If the computer is not hooked up and disconected in the right order it can cause damage to the TCU. Also to fill the transmission fluid it needs to be conected to the computer so the TCU can run resistant test as you add fluid. I know for a fact that the shp did not have the abilty to do this correctly. I have spoke with the maker of the transmission in Germany (ZF industries) They informed me that there should be no work on the transmission without having the proper computer. So what about that?
See, the problem is that YOU brought the part in to be installed. They installed it. YOU will have to prove that they did something wrong. The way to do that is to pay them for the work they did, then take it to a shop to have it looked at. If they did something wrong, then you will have evidence. If not, then the shop is clear. If the replacement tranny is bad, that's on you and you will STILL owe the original shop.

Now, my question is this: If you KNEW so much about this tranny (and, tranny's in general), then why did you take it to the "budget" shop? :rolleyes:

ETA: To be clear, you will need to pay first, then sue if there's a problem. Perhaps you can find a neutral third party to act as a sort of "escrow" agent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">