• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Shop worked on my car without my permission!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aabomb09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My brother brought his car into an auto shop to have the transmission looked at and get an estimate. After a few days they hadn't called back so my dad went up to the place and they had the car taken apart and were already fixing the car without anybody's permission. My brother never signed any papers or anything. Now they are telling us we have to pay $1700 or else they are keeping the car. Is there anything we can do to get the car back? Is it even legal for them to work on the car without permission?

I'd make them put the old parts back on. If they hold on to the car, or refuse to give it back with the old parts, see a lawyer. They have committed an act of conversion.

The mechanics are holding on to the car because it is the only way they can secure the transaction short of your brother signing something to the contrary.

They should have the old parts. Many states require that mechanics keep the parts after they replace them (so you can make sure you're not being scammed). Hopefully, your state is one of those states. Good Luck!

Andy0192

Was it your car? or your brother's car?

How do you know what conversation went on between the shop & your brother ?

aabomb09

It's my brother's car. From what i know he just asked them to look at the car and give him an estimate. He tried calling them a few times but they wouldn't answer their phone, and once my dad finally went there they were already working on it. It really feels like a big scam..

Andy0192

Your knowledge of the situation is secondary.

Have your brother ask the questions & provide info if he wants answers. It's his butt on the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">