• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

automated phone conteact

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jilwil

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My father bought a cellular phone in May 2001 with a 1-year contract. In April 2002, while I was visiting, I contacted the company to see if they could cancel, as they had not been able to figure out how to use the phone. I was told that my father could continue on a monthly basis without a contract after the initial contract was over. Apparently, the company sent a letter at the end of the original contract asking him to dial a cetrtain number to continue the service. Apparently, under the impression that he was continuing the monthly agreement, he tried to work his way through the phone menu. He has been trying to cancel the service for the past few months, and finally asked me to call for him. During the call I was told that my father extended the original contract through July 2003 using their automated phone contract.

My father is now 86 and hard of hearing. He says he didn't intentionally sign up for another year contract. He has never managed to use their service at all, and the customer service rep says my father would have to pay a $150 early termination fee. What rights, if any does my father have? Does he have to complete the term of the contract? Thank you for any information you may have on this subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">