• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automatic renewal of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoser1

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
Are automatic renewable service contracts enforceable in NJ without notification from the vendor? Situation: Signed contract with 3 year commitment in June, 2000 with alarm monitoring company (ERN at the time, at some point taken over by IASG (headquarters in NY) - no updated contract with IASG. Called to cancel service in Dec, 2004; told it could only be cancelled on the anniversary; did not argue the point; May, 2005 received new 4 year contract from IASG - too much money, declined the offer over the phone; they reduced the cost but we called back and told them that we still wished to cancel; told us to fax our intention to cancel, which we did; July 2005 received copy of original contract with footnote highlighted requiring 30 days wriitten notice (it was during the month of June, within this 30 day window, that we could not agree on new contract and were told to send the written notice) and a bill for the next year of service due; could not get anywhere near resolving issue with IASG; instructed AMEX not to pay the monthly automatic charge; just received certified, past due notice. Do I have any rights here?

phew

You were given the runaround like no cartoon character ever! I would be angry as well.

However, at this time automatic renewal contracts are not illegal in New Jersey for the type of service you are getting.

I would complain however and make a timeline of what you you have posted here.

But what confuses me, (glancing at calender in office) it is February isn't it?

What or how much is this bill for?

hoser1

$38/month + tax... yes, it's February - after getting no response from IASG and stopping AMEX payment first time, IASG hit card again and AMEX let it go through, which I didn't notice until the second month... it's taken this long for a response from IASG, being the past due notice (for Nov - Jan).
At this point I'm more worried about my credit rating - my complaints falling on deaf ears, is my only choice to pay?

hoser1 said:
$38/month + tax... yes, it's February - after getting no response from IASG and stopping AMEX payment first time, IASG hit card again and AMEX let it go through, which I didn't notice until the second month... it's taken this long for a response from IASG, being the past due notice (for Nov - Jan).
At this point I'm more worried about my credit rating - my complaints falling on deaf ears, is my only choice to pay?
Hmmm... something I didn't ask, and It should be obvious: Are they still providing the service for you?

hoser1

I'd have to turn the alarm on, open the door and wait for them to call. We haven't activated the alarm for the past 6 months.

hoser1 said:
I'd have to turn the alarm on, open the door and wait for them to call. We haven't activated the alarm for the past 6 months.
I am still confused. You stopped Augusts pmt, Sept and October went thru, then now you get a bill for Nov-Jan.

You don't know if they are still providing service because you have not tripped the alarm?

The payments you made kindof make it look like you accepted the contract no matter how much you did not want to or how much you wanted to stop your CC company from letting payments go through.

I am surprised they are not sending a past due bill for August as well if you had stopped that payment ( are you sure? you don't seem to be scrutinizing your bills very well.)

Did you negotiate with another company for your security needs? I mean are you double secured there tighter than Fort Knox?

That could be a bargaining chip if you were to try to get them to listen to you.

I wish others would chime in here. Maybe someone in the debt and collections would know, I like contracts. :eek:

hoser1

You're right - was not scrutinizing AMEX statement well. I checked in August - thought it was reversing out charge but was actually IASG rebilling, so they got their money for 4 months. After faxing our written notice to cancel in June, they kept charging the AMEX card - I was not initiating payment - it was an auto-pay set up when the service was originally started (with the original alarm company).
We did not start new service with another company, so I'm not double covered.

hoser1 said:
You're right - was not scrutinizing AMEX statement well. I checked in August - thought it was reversing out charge but was actually IASG rebilling, so they got their money for 4 months. After faxing our written notice to cancel in June, they kept charging the AMEX card - I was not initiating payment - it was an auto-pay set up when the service was originally started (with the original alarm company).
We did not start new service with another company, so I'm not double covered.

Okay Hoser, (Gee I feel like one of the Mckenzie Brothers.) I think you need to think this over, Eh.?

You have been getting the service ( as far as we know without tripping the alarm). But have not been paying it in their eyes. They think you did not give thirty days notice per contract. You really don't have much to go on but some phone calls and a Fax answer sheet. Did I remember that right?

ANYWAY> I think you are stuck with this contract or need to find out how to stop it mid stream. OR make sure at least it is not another three-year puppy.

What do you say you pay the past due, get them to send you explicitly what they think the contract is and have them tell you as if you were a three year old how to end it?

Let me know what you think Hosehead. :p

Want a donut? It’s a jelly.

hoser1

Take off, eh.
How about that - first time I ask a question on any forum and I find someone who speaks hoser.
Thanks for your replies - I figured I'm stuck. As I understand it, if I lived in NY (where IASG is headquartered), consumer laws there would protect me from the automatic renewal without proper notification - which is what irks me the most. In our first attempt to cancel we essentially gave them 6 months notice but they could not tell (remind) us that we needed to notify them in writing 30 days prior.
Now about that donut...

hoser1 said:
Take off, eh.
How about that - first time I ask a question on any forum and I find someone who speaks hoser.
Thanks for your replies - I figured I'm stuck. As I understand it, if I lived in NY (where IASG is headquartered), consumer laws there would protect me from the automatic renewal without proper notification - which is what irks me the most. In our first attempt to cancel we essentially gave them 6 months notice but they could not tell (remind) us that we needed to notify them in writing 30 days prior.
Now about that donut...

Hey Man, Like I said in my first post eh, I can tell you are irked. You got the runaround ,Eh.

When contracts are signed even three years ago we are supposed to remember every single thing in them including the fine print you know. :rolleyes:

Really Contracts are specifically made to be held to, so that things like this can happen. That is why I find them so fascinating and EVIL. :p and yet they can work for Good too. Sort of like Yogurt... but don't let me go off on a tangent. :eek: ( I could go for days on a subject like yogurt :eek: )

Anywho... I think you need to decide what you are going to do about that bill there, hoser.

Like Pay up. Then get down to brass tactics on where you go from there to end that there contract.

Now I have to go to another part of this forum because I done found a MOUSE in my BEER eh!

How much do you think I can get? ;)

Ps I don't think anyone in NY speaks Hoser.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">