• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automatic renewal contracts...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bitAuthor

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I made a three year contract with a home security company that apparently automatically renews every October. The original three years has expired. I'm now moving and they say I must sign a new three year contract at my new house, or continue to pay for the security at a home I no longer own. Is there any way out of this mess?

M

mikkey5

well lets see did you read your contract? what does it exactly say is you right to terminate the agreement, and by what date?

Most alarm companies, give you free or low cost installation, with 3 or 5 years of monitoring.

Also it could be that their contract states if you choose to cancel at any time they have a right to the return of their equipment.

Also if the contract renews each year and ends in October, then yes you would probably have to pay till then even if you dont live in the house anymore.

But maybe the new tenants will want to keep the system, and they will sign a new contract then you are off the hook.

so lets see if you can answer the questions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">