• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automatic Renewal of Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cohenmk

California.
I purchased a security alarm system for my small business building a little more than 2 years ago. Due to excessive false alarms that were not identified/remedied by the alarm company, and cost me hundreds of dollars in city police charges, I removed the system to avoid additional problems and attempted to cancel the service. Only after several communications did the alarm company respond, only to say that I was out of contract and that the contra t was renewed automatically because it had not been canceled.

I am currently at an impasse with the alarm company, but have been told by an acquaintance that automatic renewal of a contract is illegal without giving the consumer an opportunity to cancel. Evidently there is a law in place by the name of "Evergreen" or "Greenway" or something similar.

Can you verify please?

Thank you,

Marty

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">