• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automatically renewing contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mike1005

What is the name of your state? VA

I signed a one-year service contract with a cell phone provider....and at the end of the year, my service was automatically renewed for a another year. The provider states that the contract I signed specifies that "if I do not give 30 days notice, the contract will automatically be renewed for the next year".
I need to cancel the service because we've moved out of the service area, and now they are asking me to pay a 200 $ cancellation fee. Can this be legally enforced??

Thank You.

JETX

Is that 'renewal' provision in fact in the original agreement you signed?? If so, you are very likely SOL (and I don't mean Statute of Limitations).

Some states have taken action to restrict the use of these automatic renewals. You might check with your state consumer affairs office at:
http://www.vdacs.state.va.us/consumers/index.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">