• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AUTOMOBILE LEASE OF DECEASED FATHER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SPURDIE

i live in connecticut. my father was leasing a vehicle from chrysler. he passed away suddenly. he was the sole person on the lease he entered in to it sept, 99 it is up sept, 2002. he is surrvived by my mother. who can not afford the lease. she is not on the lease. i have called to get a copy of the agreement which they have not done after several calls. i need to know what are the options that are available? and is my mother as his spouse responsible for paying for this lease? father was 73 i do recall when i sold vehicles in ny we did not offer death and disability to applicants over 70. i do not know what the laws concerning this are in connecticut. any assistance is greatly appreciated.

F

Frances Ensey

I went thru that in FLA. If there is no death or disability clause, then your mom has to assume all of his depts... They might be holding out with a reply because there IS one and they want your family to pay as much as they can get out of you.. If thats the case, go to small claims court, the judge will order them to pay back mom due to the fact that they sat on it so long. You have the death cert. to prove that...Log all dates of communication & what was said & their name.
If there wasn't one, then I am afraid Mom will have to pay, if she can't, send it back. I hate to say this but at this point in her life, credit isn't a problem. Probably as all she wants now anyway.. Good Luck!

M

megram

My mother also had a problem with a Chrysler lease after we lost my Dad. They did have life ins. on the lease, but Chrysler's ins. co. refused to honor it. Contact your Att. General. When the state became involved on my Mother's behalf the Chrysler's ins. finally paid the lease. The state told my Mother that they had so many complaints about both Chrysler and their ins. co. they had to get involved. Before they finally paid the lease, she let Chrysler take the car back, they claimed they sold it for $7,000 less than it was worth and sent my Mother a bill for that amount! Now they took the money for the lease from their ins. co. but have not answered her about getting a car! Watch them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">