• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automobile Reposession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AntiHank

I was recently leasing a car on a long term (four year) basis. However, with 6 months remaining on the lease, and having been unemployed or at least under-employed (20% of previous salary) for 8 months, I notified the bank, by phone, that I could not make payments, and would have the car ready for them on the following Monday afternoon.

The bank chose to get the car at 5 AM, called it a repossession, and claimed that I had not contacted them. They did not notify me that they were coming at that hour and as a result some personal property, including a handicapped parking card, was taken along with the car. It took most of the day to verify that the bank had, indeed, taken the car, and another full day to find where the car had been taken.

The company holding the car said I could pickup my personal belongings between the hours of 8 and 4:30, and I would be required to pay an "Inventory fee" along with storage costs.

After explaining to these people that, having begun a new job, I was unable to take a day off from work, they indicated that was not their concern. So, I made an appointment for 12:30 PM one day the following week. Then they told me they were at lunch then. I gave up.

My question is this: can I file theft charges against anyone here? Do I have grounds for any type of lawsuit? I would think that I do, especially since the bank went out of their way to take the car before I had a chance to get my property out.

Illegal or not, the bank is taking advantage of someone who was going through a layoff and unemployment, and basically they are just rubbing my nose in it, and that is at the very least vindcitive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">