• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoiding Cell Phone cancellation fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Irate2

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I have had a contentious relationship with Cingular wireless for some time, repeatedly berating them for poor service. Over the past several months, I have repeatedly told Cingular representatives that A) I planned to cancel my service in August, when the service contract expires and B) That I consistently warn others against subscribing with the company.
I had planned to stick it out until August. But the last straw came during a business trip to the Arizona-Mexico border earlier this month. I could not make or receive calls because a Mexican cellular provider had my phone under its influence. I tried to resolve the problem immediately by paying a $30 fee to set up roaming access, but that service apparently was not provided. As long as I was on the border, I could not use my phone. This confused and angered my supervisors at work, and made it much more difficult for me to do my work. Upon my return, I spent several hours explaining to my supervisors that the situation was beyond my control. I have since subscribed to a different cell phone company, in part because I cannot be in the same situation again, and in part because I needed to demonstrate to my supervisors that I was doing everything in my power to make sure they can reach me by cell phone when necessary.
I've been told that a consumer can terminate a contract when he does not receive the service for which he paid, and not incurr a cancellation fee. But I also know that the California PUC recently suspended its "Wireless consumer's bill of rights." What is my legal position, and what steps should I follow to avoid paying the fee? I want to resolve this question before April 26, when my monthly bill cycle is set to renew.
I don't know whether my earlier, and very forceful, expressions of discontent with Cingular can be used against me now. The events during this business trip were far more than a convenient pretext to drop the service. I ended up going to another company because my Cingular phone was becoming a career liability.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I

itsacatsworld

No cell phone company guarantees 100% coverage of the USA or the earth, read your contract you signed it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">