• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Babysitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flgirl32

What is the name of your state?Florida

Hi to everyone.

This issue has been resolved but I wanted some opinions in case it comes back to haunt me.

I agreed to babysit two kids age nine and twelve for a couple of weeks, mostly staying at their house. Father works on shrimp boat and mother is out of town. I was in phone contact with the mother who was not sure of the day of the father's return to town.

After making plans for the 1st - 4th of July, I was informed the afternoon of the 1st that the father would be home in a couple of hours. After scrambling to rearrange plans and with some discomfort to everyone, me and the kids made it back to their house because father did not have a key to front door.

Father comes home and tells me he will be there till Tuesday. I explain difficulties I have had with kids, he says "Don't worry, I will talk to kids and wife". I leave, thinking the kids are now in the custody of their father and expecting a phone call from him before he leaves for work again.

Here's the problem. Monday morning I had arranged with the mother to take kids to a four day camp. Since I had not been telephoned by father and did not recieve answer when I telephoned, I thought they were dissatisfied with my services because of the issues with the children (they were bored and did not want to stay at my house while I did yard and housework) and were handling things by themselves. Although the father does not have a license, he has driven his car to do errands and was capable of taking the kids to camp.

Turns out the father left Sunday night, the kids were all alone on Monday. The mother thought I would be there Monday morning to take the kids to camp. They called her crying that they were alone, so some of her church members picked up the kids, took them to camp and brought them back home. Meanwhile, mother had to fly home from Washington D.C. at some expense.

During this whole time I recieved no phone calls from the kids, members of the church or the father and no one answered my calls, I had no key to the house to gain access to the mother or father's work numbers.

My question is: Could the parents file some kind of charges against me for not picking up the children? Abandonment/neglect etc?

Thanks for your help

pammness

If

IF they lie, yes. Did they threaten you with legal action? My advice plain and simple, stay away from these people. I would not ever watch the children again. :eek:

flgirl32

Tirade

I finally went and talked to the mother, listened to her tirade about how she had been betrayed etc...

No threat of legal action other than she said she could make trouble for me if she wanted to for leaving the kids alone.

I am sort of thinking the twelve year old is old enough to babysit for a couple of hours, even to have given me a phone call.

Will definately not watch these kids again, and in future situations have everything down in writing about what I am or am not allowed to do with the kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">