• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad air conditioner.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slowsk8s

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I bought a new house in 2003. My wife and I had it built by Crossman Communities. We moved in in February of 2003. During our first summer in our house we had to call the company that installed our HVAC system to come and repair our air conditioner. They came out and told us we didn't change the filter often enough. The second time they had to come out they found a leak. When they filled the leak, they said that would fix the problem. Well now it's 2009, and they've been out multiple times every summer since 2003. Every time they fix something (multiple refrigeration leaks, bad igniter, replaced the entire outside unit, replaced the compressor), they assure us that it's fixed for good. Now again I've had to call them this summer. They installed a "hard start" capacitor, which would fix it for good. I called them back 2 hours later when the temperature in the house was going up with the air conditioner running. Now they say they have to replace the compressor again!! I've been lucky so far I guess, as they haven't charged me for any of the work up to now. However, I am now being told that since the entire outside unit (which includes the compressor) was replaced in 2007, this time they will have to charge me. They say that since this is not the original unit, it is not an "installation" problem, it is a bad compressor. They got the manufacturer to cover the cost of the new compressor, but say they have to charge me the labor costs. I think that if they hadn't messed up so bad when installing the original, then this faulty new compressor would not be here and would not be an issue. They inability to install and fix the original unit, is the only reason the "new" bad unit is here. Should i be required to pay anything to fix this continuing problem? I feel that their initial install job is the root and cause of all the problems, and that they should continue to be responsible for the cost. Am I right or wrong?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">