• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Architect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reg21

Illinois. I have to do foundation work to a building I own. Due to the nature of the work (requiring permits, hiring contractors, etc) I am also going to do a gut rehab. To do such work requires a structural enginner adn architect to do the drawings, perform calculations, etc to meet city code standards. I hired a company that has both structural engineers and architects on staff. The owner of the company had told me verbally that the drawings would take 3-4 weeks to complete. It has been 4 months now and the drawings are still inaccurate. Dimesions are wrong, there are no grid lines, the reviewers (city) of the plan are not going to be able to tell from looking at the plans what is holding up the building! I ended up doing most of the room layout design (I am a fire protection designer and work with ACAD). I did this to try and help the schdule along as they kept making designs that did not address my desires. This delay costs me $2200/mth ($1600 in lost income and $600 in renting temporary supports). I have already paid him $5000. What would be my options if I want to hire somebody else and sue him for the money I have lost due to their underperformance ($2200x3=$6600). What kind of legal fees would be involved? How long would things take?
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">