• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Breeder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rapjen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I bought a puppy yesterday from a breeder and within eight hours of bringing him home, he was dying. I picked him up at close to 6pm and had to take him to an emergency vet hospital at 3am. The vet called me at 11 am to say that the dog had gotten worse and he recommended euthanizing him. I had the dog for a total of 17 hours. I paid $525 for the dog and now have an over $500 vet bill. The dog came with a health guarantee but I was told by the breeder that she would only replace him. The vet told me that the dog had to have been very sick before I even purchased him and that he has seen at least two other dogs from this breeder that were also very sick; one of them died as well. The breeder insists that she would not have sold me a sick dog, but the vet is positive that the dog could not have gotten that sick in the short time that I had him. My question is, can I make the breeder give me a refund and pay the vet bill for selling me a sick dog? I am also worried about the other dogs left in her home.

TigerD

You can sue the bad person. And you should should definitely do background checks on breeders by at the least talking to vets around them.

Also - and most important - there are thousands of puppies to full-grown dogs in shelters around the country. Adopt a dog and don't support the local puppy mill.

TD

rapjen

You can sue the bad person. And you should should definitely do background checks on breeders by at the least talking to vets around them.

Also - and most important - there are thousands of puppies to full-grown dogs in shelters around the country. Adopt a dog and don't support the local puppy mill.

TD
Thanks. I have been trying for months to adopt a dog from our local humane societies, the problem is that I live in an apartment and cannot have a dog over 20 lbs. It is so difficult to find a little dog in a shelter where I live. That is why I saved up some money to get a puppy. And now my daughter is devastated!

RRevak

What exactly did the dog die of and what exactly does your contract with the breeder say about the event of health issues?

So sorry for the loss of your puppy :(

Unfortunately this situation happens all too often. Parvo and other diseases are problematic with dogs that are sheltered together in less than ideal conditions.

When you are searching for another puppy, besides your local Humane Society, also check your local city and county shelters. Many shelters are overflowing or at capacity now and many do have puppies. Also check your local official animal rescue organizations, many of which will pull the most at-risk dogs such as puppies from the local shelters shortly after they come in. As an example, one of our local rescues just pulled a mother dog and her 10 puppies from a shelter in an adjacent county that was beyond capacity and may have to start euthanizing for space. We currently have them and are fostering them until the rescue has room for them. The mother dog has Kennel Cough and she and the pups are being treated for that. They are safe and will eventually find homes.

In some localities, you may have to keep checking back with your local Humane Societies, city/county shelters, and rescues for available puppies. Also look for local adoption events sponsored by shelters or rescues, many which are held in your local PetSmart or Petco type stores.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">