• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Engine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugarhiigh86

I purchased a used engine through a third party that looks for auto parts that are needed. A engine was found for me which I than purchased. The engine was delivered to my mechanic upon receiving the engine the mechanic noted that the engine was very dirty (rusty, oil everywhere). I called the company that found my engine and informed them of this. Response was it was probably sitting around somewhere but it is fine the engine is good. Ok, I have my mechanic install the engine and to later find out the engine is no good. My mechanic still has to charge my installation fee for putting in the engine and also taking more time trying to get the engine to work. $1200 labor fees.
I inform the company that the engine doesn't work and I now have to get another engine and have it installed. He says that they will refund me the engine, however, the labor charges will have to be reviewed. 3 weeks later, I have to spend another $1800 for another engine and to be installed. I have not received my refund back for my engine (which they claim will be done today 2/4/16) and I am being declined for any repayment for the labor charges for the first engine being installed. Reason being is that they do not know my mechanic.

Is there anything that I can do to get payment for the labor charges?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I purchased a used engine through a third party that looks for auto parts that are needed. A engine was found for me which I than purchased. The engine was delivered to my mechanic upon receiving the engine the mechanic noted that the engine was very dirty (rusty, oil everywhere). I called the company that found my engine and informed them of this. Response was it was probably sitting around somewhere but it is fine the engine is good. Ok, I have my mechanic install the engine and to later find out the engine is no good. My mechanic still has to charge my installation fee for putting in the engine and also taking more time trying to get the engine to work. $1200 labor fees.
I inform the company that the engine doesn't work and I now have to get another engine and have it installed. He says that they will refund me the engine, however, the labor charges will have to be reviewed. 3 weeks later, I have to spend another $1800 for another engine and to be installed. I have not received my refund back for my engine (which they claim will be done today 2/4/16) and I am being declined for any repayment for the labor charges for the first engine being installed. Reason being is that they do not know my mechanic.

Is there anything that I can do to get payment for the labor charges?
What sort of warranty were you offered with the engine?

sugarhiigh86

Warranty...

Engines Assemblies may include manifolds, oil pan, timing belts and covers, fuel injection or carburetor. We guarantee only the long block, head, and head gasket. The manifolds, gaskets (excluding the head gasket), seals, hoses, oil pan, timing belts and covers, fuel injection or carburetor, are not guaranteed. Accessories such as, but not limited to Turbo, Starters, air compressors, alternator, power steering pumps, optical distributors or electrical water pumps are usually not included nor under warranty in regards to the sale and/or warranty of an engine. If these parts are purchased separately, they will be under warranty. Other items that may need to be replaced are the water pump, distributor cap, spark plugs and wires and possibly timing chain. ABV Trans will not be held liable for these parts listed as they are considered high-wear parts. Must retain all service records and legitimate receipts to provide proof that conditions were met. Hand written receipts will not be accepted. A new thermostat must be installed. Heat tab must not be melted or missing. Replace oil, filter, timing belt, water pump, oil pump and all oil seals. If any of these items are not replaced prior to installation, your warranty will become null and voided. We do not guarantee mileage. ABV Trans will not return or refund any units until the customer can provide written documentation from an Authorized Dealer proving the part was reprogrammed and still not functioning properly. Carburetors: We guarantee only the ability to be rebuilt. Distributors: We do not guarantee that distributors come with caps and/or rotors. Rotors are guaranteed to be machinable only since normal use can leave them slightly warped. They will be guaranteed against cracks or non-machinable surface damage.

Cylinder heads are guaranteed ONLY not to be warped or cracked. Only the cylinder head itself is guaranteed and may need to be re-machined. Other parts that may accompany the cylinder head are NOT guaranteed and may need to be replaced. Orders of "Block Only" (Short or Long Block) are guaranteed to be re-buildable only. Electrical items such as engine computers and body control modules, transmission modules, transfer case modules are only guaranteed to have the correct manufacturer part number and are not sold for testing purposes. Warranty will be automatically voided if engine cylinder head has been removed from the block or the motor is altered in any way; no exceptions will be made.

OHRoadwarrior

This is a common issue with old cars. That is why it is always best to deal with a reputable wrecking yard and hopefully hear the engine running beforehand. Buying a reman long block, is also usually a good option. Due to the installation costs not being refundable. Buying an engine off some guy from the back of his garage is no longer a logical method. You can sue for the cost of the engine if it was guaranteed. Not the installation unless they were guaranteed also.

justalayman

since you purchased the engine outside of the garage, unless the seller of the engine included labor within their warranty, you get to pay the labor to the garage to have the bad engine pulled and the new one installed. It's really that simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">