• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad engine diagnostics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kfcoop

What is the name of your state? I live in Florida
After my car broke down I took it to a national major car repair franchise. They performed engine diagnostics ($45) and as a result noted that the car overheated/spitting oil. The repair that was requested was putting in a new motor($4500). I had it towed back to my home town at a cost of $375. After being checked out by another mechanic it was said to be only needing a new water pump and that it would only cost roughly $500 instead of the estimated $4500 by the previous shop. My question is, would the engine diagnostic ($45) be due back to me if the contract on the back of the invoice states "Any automotive service work performed by ****, unless listed elsewhere in this warranty, is covered by a 90 day 3000 mile, whichever comes first, guarantee. Should work performed by **** prove unsatisfactory during this period, work will be done at no charge."? Also should I attempt to be compensated for the towing charge of $375 due to a wrong diagnosis of problem. The $440 is a very substantial fee for me due to the fact that I am going to school and supporting myself. All input is welcome.

crusheroz

Since the water pump is out, it could have caused your car to overheat. Resulting in a possible cracked head. That does need to be checked out. You may not need a new engine, but it is possible you need a new head gasket set, and maybe a new head (if cracked). Did you car in fact over heat your car?

K

kfcoop

I just received my truck back and all was wrong was the water pump. The new shop’s opinion is that either the other shop was trying to mislead me or is incompetent. The new shop was surprised to learn that i was charged for a diagnostic because they could tell what it was in less than 2mins of just looking. My problem with the first shop is because it charged for the diagnostic, then they should also cover my towing due to the fact that I could have had it fixed on the road at any shop. Thanks for the advice!

D

Don_Trump

Why don't you do us all a service and let us know the name of the company that mis-diagnosed the problem?

Check out this site; http://www.justtiressucks.com/

This guy had a poor experience with Just Tires and made his story public - Its enough to make you stay away from them.

alchemist

Well here's the problem. That 45$ for the diagnostic is gone. You wont be able to proove that their engine diagnostic wasn't accurate...they could have read the computer and saw your car overheated.....you won't be able to disprove that. As for the towing fee, that was your choice to tow it home(although i know you didnt want to do it). As for the misdiagnosis of the water pump....its your mechanics word vs theirs..... For the amount of money at stake here, no lawyer would touch it. And you dont have much of a case in small claims court......best to just file with the BBB local to them and request a refund.....other than that i'm sorry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">