• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad mechanic plz help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Walter Cole

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas, I took my truck to a local vocational school for engine repair in March 2013, got it back in May 2013, unfinished and with a lot more damge to the engine than it had when I took it in. Not only did then school mess up the motor they put a huge dent in the hood. Any and all advice would be helpful.I'm just trying to find out if I have a leg to stand on.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas, I took my truck to a local vocational school for engine repair in March 2013, got it back in May 2013, unfinished and with a lot more damge to the engine than it had when I took it in. Not only did then school mess up the motor they put a huge dent in the hood. Any and all advice would be helpful.I'm just trying to find out if I have a leg to stand on.
Did you report the dent to your insurance company? When did you get the truck returned? How do you ascertain that there was a lot more damage to the engine? Did you take it to another mechanic to have fixed?

Walter Cole

Did you report the dent to your insurance company? When did you get the truck returned? How do you ascertain that there was a lot more damage to the engine? Did you take it to another mechanic to have fixed?
No I didn't report to insurance company the school admitted fault and have sent them an estimate, but have not got a respose since. I picked the truck up on 05-15-13, As for the engine damage yes I took it to a mechanic that I trust and know personaly. He me come into his shop yesterday and showed/explained to me what damage was done do to the school. The work that was done by the school was cylinder head replacement, which requires several different gaskets and bolts repalced. The school replaced the head and gaskets but not the cylinder bolts which is a must. They also put a timing gear in backwards which in turn ruined the timing chain. they broke all of electrical pigtail clips to the fuel injector. I could keep going but these are the main problems at the moment.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No I didn't report to insurance company the school admitted fault and have sent them an estimate, but have not got a respose since. I picked the truck up on 05-15-13, As for the engine damage yes I took it to a mechanic that I trust and know personaly. He me come into his shop yesterday and showed/explained to me what damage was done do to the school. The work that was done by the school was cylinder head replacement, which requires several different gaskets and bolts repalced. The school replaced the head and gaskets but not the cylinder bolts which is a must. They also put a timing gear in backwards which in turn ruined the timing chain. they broke all of electrical pigtail clips to the fuel injector. I could keep going but these are the main problems at the moment.
First, follow up with the school to find out when you can expect payment and how much.
Second, make sure you sent it to the correct person at the school. When did you send them the estimate?

Walter Cole

First, follow up with the school to find out when you can expect payment and how much.
Second, make sure you sent it to the correct person at the school. When did you send them the estimate?
I sent the estimate 5/20 or 5/21 I faxed it to the number given to me by the school.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I sent the estimate 5/20 or 5/21 I faxed it to the number given to me by the school.
Did you follow that up with a call to make sure the fax was received? It has only been ten days. Most likely this has to go through the school's superintendent if not the board as well as legal counsel AND then to their insurance company.

Walter Cole

Did you follow that up with a call to make sure the fax was received? It has only been ten days. Most likely this has to go through the school's superintendent if not the board as well as legal counsel AND then to their insurance company.
No I didn't call to see if they received it I got a confermation not as received by the fax machine. But I do plan on calling them first thing Monday morning.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What does your paperwork say regarding the repairs? Was there any sort of waiver in there?

OHRoadwarrior

A vocational school is not a licensed garage. It provides a practice venue for aspiring mechanics under the auspices of an ASE certified mechanic. This is not a successfully actionable claim. You get what you pay for. What do you claim your damages to be? If you did not overheat the engine, which is your fault, not theirs, then the timing recourse is to wait for next term, schedule it in for repair again. They need to kero flush the oil system, replace the head gasket with new bolts and change the oil. The timing gear can be turned around at that time. The fuel injector clips, though unfortunate, are a product of the inexperience of the people you chose to work on the vehicle. After the engine is running, request the body shop class fix the hood.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">