• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bait and Switch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I recently bought a car from a local Honda Dealership about a month ago. The experience in buying the car was less then pleasurable and had some issues during the sales and caught the dealership trying to slip in scams. Afterward I felt comfortable with the sale of the car, but I did report the dealership to Honda because of their bad selling tactics and other issues. I check the dealer website often to check the status of my trade in out of curiosity and compare the numbers for which they bought the car for and advertised it at. I also did google searches on the VIN # of the car to see where else it might be listed.

I noticed they sold my trade in the other day. I decided to run the VIN # on my trade in as well as the new car I had purchased and found out they are listing the car I bought on Craigslist and other like sites. I bought the car a month ago but the listings for the car are from a couple of days. The photos are the same, car is the same, millage is the same from when I first saw the advertisement for the car on the dealer website.

Clearly, I feel like my car is being used in a bait and switch scam. I am going to have a friend respond to one of the ads and ask to come in and test drive the car to confirm my suspicion.

Question is, since this is a legal issue, who can I report the dealer to besides Honda?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I recently bought a car from a local Honda Dealership about a month ago. The experience in buying the car was less then pleasurable and had some issues during the sales and caught the dealership trying to slip in scams. Afterward I felt comfortable with the sale of the car, but I did report the dealership to Honda because of their bad selling tactics and other issues. I check the dealer website often to check the status of my trade in out of curiosity and compare the numbers for which they bought the car for and advertised it at. I also did google searches on the VIN # of the car to see where else it might be listed.

I noticed they sold my trade in the other day. I decided to run the VIN # on my trade in as well as the new car I had purchased and found out they are listing the car I bought on Craigslist and other like sites. I bought the car a month ago but the listings for the car are from a couple of days. The photos are the same, car is the same, millage is the same from when I first saw the advertisement for the car on the dealer website.

Clearly, I feel like my car is being used in a bait and switch scam. I am going to have a friend respond to one of the ads and ask to come in and test drive the car to confirm my suspicion.

Question is, since this is a legal issue, who can I report the dealer to besides Honda?
You really have way too much time on your hands. You need to go forth and enjoy your new vehicle...

racer72

Check the date of the ad for your vehicle. Most likely the ad was placed before you bought your vehicle and they never bothered to cancel the ad. The last vehicle I bought showed up on Craigslist for almost a month. Nothing lasts more than 30 days on Craigslist, the ad for your vehicle will be the same.

Zigner, If I had too much time on my hands I would be posting bad advice on a legal forum like yourself. I didn't realize I was bothering people by helping prevent dealers from using me as a pawn to screw others.

Racer - Like I mentioned, I bought the car about a month ago. The posting for the car was NEW, they posted it two days ago, all information the same. Like I said, it was on other sites as well, also posted new in the last couple of days. So it wasn't a mistake, and it is not an old posting.

Zigner

Zigner, If I had too much time on my hands I would be posting bad advice on a legal forum like yourself. I didn't realize I was bothering people by helping prevent dealers from using me as a pawn to screw others.

Racer - Like I mentioned, I bought the car about a month ago. The posting for the car was NEW, they posted it two days ago, all information the same. Like I said, it was on other sites as well, also posted new in the last couple of days. So it wasn't a mistake, and it is not an old posting.
This is a LEGAL forum. Again, you have too much time on your hands. Go forth and drive

This is a LEGAL forum. Again, you have too much time on your hands. Go forth and drive
Last time I checked, bait and switch was ILLEGAL. Therefore, my reason for being here is warranted. The dealer is using my car as bait by advertising it for sale when it is not. So, you can either help or clear space for someone who can.

Zigner

Last time I checked, bait and switch was ILLEGAL. Therefore, my reason for being here is warranted. The dealer is using my car as bait by advertising it for sale when it is not. So, you can either help or clear space for someone who can.
There was no bait & switch pulled on YOU. Furthermore, you have no idea in the world if what is going on even meets the legal definition of "bait & switch" for future parties.

Seriously - quit being a busy-body.

There was no bait & switch pulled on YOU. Furthermore, you have no idea in the world if what is going on even meets the legal definition of "bait & switch" for future parties.

Ok, I had my friend call, they said the car is on the lot and set up an appointment for a test drive tomorrow afternoon. Would you care to explain how they are going to have my friend test drive a car that I own? You're right, nothing shady going on there, especially not bait and switch.

I believe in doing what is right when given the opportunity. For example, if I see an old woman being robbed and I am able to assist, I will. You are more then welcome to sit in the shadows and make useless comments afterward. Out of the two of us, I am using my spare time, my bad experiences and knowledge to prevent something bad from happening to someone else. You are using your time commenting on what you think should be done after something bad as happened. Again, tell me which one of us is wasting their time?

Zigner

Ok, I had my friend call, they said the car is on the lot and set up an appointment for a test drive tomorrow afternoon. Would you care to explain how they are going to have my friend test drive a car that I own? You're right, nothing shady going on there, especially not bait and switch.

I believe in doing what is right when given the opportunity. For example, if I see an old woman being robbed and I am able to assist, I will. You are more then welcome to sit in the shadows and make useless comments afterward. Out of the two of us, I am using my spare time, my bad experiences and knowledge to prevent something bad from happening to someone else. You are using your time commenting on what you think should be done after something bad as happened. Again, tell me which one of us is wasting their time?
Good luck in your endeavors.

swalsh411

There is no law that says a dealer can't put pictures of a similar car up on internet sites in order to entice buyers to come look at the actual car for sale. If you can find such a law, by all means please post it, otherwise you are barking up the wrong tree.

There is no law that says a dealer can't put pictures of a similar car up on internet sites in order to entice buyers to come look at the actual car for sale. If you can find such a law, by all means please post it, otherwise you are barking up the wrong tree.
I guess I was not clear in my original post, or perhaps you got lost after reading the other responses. This is not a car LIKE mine, this is not just pictures of my car. This is an ad selling MY CAR. Like I mentioned, the ad states my car, year, make, the amount of miles it had when they still had it, MY VIN # (which is how I found it, by searching for it), my options, the photos are of my car, etc. Also, the car model is a Civic SI in fiji blue, which is a sought after car, which is another reason I thought it is bait and switch.

Let me give you an example, a Realtor sells you a house in a great location, looks great and has many options. Then after they sell it to you, a month or so down the road, they are hurting for customers, so they list your house again, the same ADDRESS, house, pictures, etc. Then on top of that, they are getting calls from customers and the Realtor is agreeing to show them YOUR house.

Antigone*

Mrs. Kravits comes to mind:p Oh heck, I did not just date myself. :eek:

Andy0192

Have you called the Dealer to inform them of their Mistake?

They probably list more than one car at a time. I'm sure someone simply forgot to remove your car from the listing.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Have you called the Dealer to inform them of their Mistake?

They probably list more than one car at a time. I'm sure someone simply forgot to remove your car from the listing.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
After everything else they tried to pull on me, I am sure this is not the case. Not to mention, I had a friend call and ask if the car was available and they said yes and he scheduled an appointment to come in and see it and test drive it. I can understand if the car was posted once by mistake, or perhaps a couple of days after the sale. Like I said, they posted a NEW LISTING TWO DAYS AGO. I purchased the car April 28th. The care was listed on one site on May 31st, and June 13th on another as well as a couple other sites around the middle of May which I gave them the benefit of the doubt on those. I am pretty sure they update the list when they sell a car.

Rather then try to dissect my words and give me your two cents on what you think the problem might be, how about someone just answer my question. I am getting really frustrated and feel bad for anyone who comes on here for any kind of advice, since these are the kind of replies I get. So, ignore everything you heard and answer this simple question.

Does anyone know who I can report a dealer to about scamming customers besides the BBB?

cyjeff

I thought this was your trade in?

If so, it is no longer your car.

I believe in doing what is right when given the opportunity. For example, if I see an old woman being robbed and I am able to assist, I will. You are more then welcome to sit in the shadows and make useless comments afterward.
Thank God you are here to not only tell us about used cars listed on Craigslist (which, by the way, isn't CLOSE to illegal) but personal judgments as to our character.

If your friend goes and asks for the car and they say, "Sorry, we sold it." There is no crime. At all.

Out of the two of us, I am using my spare time, my bad experiences and knowledge to prevent something bad from happening to someone else

Which is a huge problem. Nothing has happened yet.

I hope you don't just beat up random people that stand next to old ladies because you believe someone may be ready to cause someone harm. Could be a real problem at the dance hall.

You are using your time commenting on what you think should be done after something bad as happened. Again, tell me which one of us is wasting their time?
You are. You are effectively stalking this dealership... you are mad they are going to get more for your car than they paid you for the trade in (legal and normal), you are mad because they sold the car but didn't pull the craigslist ad (legal) and that the person on the phone didn't know the car was sold (could be an honest mistake... legal).

You, on the other hand, are having friends misrepresent themselves because you believe yourself to be the reincarnation of Sherlock Holmes.

You don't think this is a bit obsessive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">