• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bait and Switch on purchasing windows?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolcookie

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada.

I recently purchased 7 windows and a sliding glass door from a company outside my city. I live in Las Vegas and they are headquartered in Reno. I was shown a sample of a window (I still have this sample) with a foam insulated seal. The windows installed did not have this seal - only an aluminum strip. After calling the manufacturer I have learned that this seal is an upgrade in the type of windows on my contract for $2.75 per foot. However, on my contract the windows specified do not have this option, but the sample I was shown has this. The salesman never mentioned this was an upgrade, he only said this is the cross section of the windows I was buying. Anyway, the company who installed these windows messed up and cut the windows too short so they do not fit correctly due to inexperienced installers. Since then, they have agreed to order new windows and install again, but it will take another 4 weeks (I have already waited about 6). They are not agreeing to giving any money back for my time, inconvenience, and installing the wrong product in the first place. They subcontract their sales to another company who they say is responsible for misleading me in the first place.

I am wondering if I need to take anyone to court for a refund (even though the windows will still be installed correctly - they are still not what I was shown and time off work for installation again)? Who is ultimately responsible for this huge inconvenience - the windows company who installed them incorrectly in the first place or the sales company who misrepresented the product? Do I stand a chance of winning a small claims case?

I'm not asking for a full refund, just like 20% off my bill.

Thank you for any advice.

S

seniorjudge

coolcookie said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada.

I recently purchased 7 windows and a sliding glass door from a company outside my city. I live in Las Vegas and they are headquartered in Reno. I was shown a sample of a window (I still have this sample) with a foam insulated seal. The windows installed did not have this seal - only an aluminum strip. After calling the manufacturer I have learned that this seal is an upgrade in the type of windows on my contract for $2.75 per foot. However, on my contract the windows specified do not have this option, but the sample I was shown has this. The salesman never mentioned this was an upgrade, he only said this is the cross section of the windows I was buying. Anyway, the company who installed these windows messed up and cut the windows too short so they do not fit correctly due to inexperienced installers. Since then, they have agreed to order new windows and install again, but it will take another 4 weeks (I have already waited about 6). They are not agreeing to giving any money back for my time, inconvenience, and installing the wrong product in the first place. They subcontract their sales to another company who they say is responsible for misleading me in the first place.

I am wondering if I need to take anyone to court for a refund (even though the windows will still be installed correctly - they are still not what I was shown and time off work for installation again)? Who is ultimately responsible for this huge inconvenience - the windows company who installed them incorrectly in the first place or the sales company who misrepresented the product? Do I stand a chance of winning a small claims case?

I'm not asking for a full refund, just like 20% off my bill.

Thank you for any advice.

When you take the bad people to small claims court, show the judge what you were supposed to get (in writing...on the contract) and then show pictures of what you actually got.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">